Drilled/Slotted Rotors???

I am getting ready to replace the front rotors/pads on my 2006 Tundra. I am seeing drilled/slotted rotors for sale and wonder if they are worth the extra money. I tow an 18’ CC that probaly doesn’t weight anymore than 2500+ lbs. Any experience or words of wisdom regarding such rotors would be appreciated.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

I’m definitely no expert, but as far as I know, the drilled/ slotted rotors dissipate the heat from the pads and are supposed to run cooler.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

You’ll see no benefit unless you drive hard/fast or tow a lot in hilly country. I had them on my old F350 with ceramic pads because that truck ate brakes and rotors. They were the only thing that seemed to hold up but I towed 13K regularly with the truck and a lot was in the mountains. Braking is only slightly better, most couldn’t tell the difference.

Mark
Pioneer 222 Sportfish Yamaha F300
Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn’t go so far as to call a dog filthy but they’re definitely dirty. But, a dog’s got personality. Personality goes a long way.

“Life’s tough…It’s even tougher if you’re stupid” John Wayne

Drilled discs were developed for racing to dissipate heat quicker, in normal day to day use doubtful you would require them. Like salty said about hilly terrain etc.

I replaced the front brakes on my Tacoma with Brembo replacement rotors and Hawk LTS pads (designed for trucks that tow). Much better brake response than the stock setup. I had slotted rotors on a track car I used to own and they worked as advertised, but I think it would be overkill on a truck towing a 2500 lb boat.

I just did all 4 brakes on my 4 x 4 diesel Excursion. Replaced 1 rotor. I went with the Bosch rotor at Oreilly- 70 bucks. Couldn’t justify the cost of slotted/cryoed/drilled rotors for the rear-especially to my wife.

I’ve seen you drive. you need the slotted rotors and any other help you can get

A truck with slotted rotors on the front and drums on the back sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Seriously, like others have said, save your money and just buy regular rotors. I will say that the Toyota factory rotors are worth the money. You won’t get the same mileage out of an aftermarket rotor from Pep Boys. Get toyota oem rotors and pads.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

quote:
I've seen you drive.

You ain’t seen me drive.

Thanks all for your input…except you Pea.

Are you getting the slotted rotors or not?

Not telling, now you’ll stay up all night wondering…Ha Ha

Doug, Give me a call sometime(I lost your phone number). I’ve got some questions about your Tundra. Mine is the same year. I meant to talk to you more at the oyster roast, but never made it back to you. Thanks.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

quote:
Originally posted by Geronimo

A truck with slotted rotors on the front and drums on the back sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Seriously, like others have said, save your money and just buy regular rotors. I will say that the Toyota factory rotors are worth the money. You won’t get the same mileage out of an aftermarket rotor from Pep Boys. Get toyota oem rotors and pads.

“Banana Pants”
Indigo Bay 170
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

Toyota rotors are junk. Just replaced the front rotors & pads on the wife's sequoia with NAPA Pads & rotors. The toyota rotors warp easy & their pads wear out just as fast. Spend the money & buy a decent pad & rotor & you'll be fine.

21 Contender

yeah, but should DF get the slotted rotors?

I’ been up all night waitin

quote:
Originally posted by saltydog235

You’ll see no benefit unless you drive hard/fast or tow a lot in hilly country. I had them on my old F350 with ceramic pads because that truck ate brakes and rotors. They were the only thing that seemed to hold up but I towed 13K regularly with the truck and a lot was in the mountains. Braking is only slightly better, most couldn’t tell the difference.

^^^ +2

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley