Drowning Doesn't Look Like Drowning

I know this isn’t the correct forum. As much time as we Inshore guys spend on the water, I thought this to be a great benefit. I pulled this from the NC Waterman site. I guess you can copy and paste this URL in your browser bar if the link doesn’t take you to the site.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

Be safe and aware…

I read this on another forum, and you are correct: it’s very important information. I’ve been in and around water all my life, and I did not know any of the informtion contained in the article.

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

Thanks for posting that…it’s a great article.

The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge…Proverbs 1:7

Some important information to know. Thanks for posting

Good read, I had no idea. Further proof of how TV distorts what we think and how we view things. No, I am not demonizing TV, just wish they too the time to portray anything accurately. Thanks for sharing.

thank you for posting this. with two kids 2 and 4 this article may save a life one day.

Great read! Very good information to know.

Yes, good article.
Did the same thing the captain in the article did to save my four year old daughter
many years ago. She was drowning in a salt pond ten feet away from the nanny we had hired that long ago Summer.
The nanny had no clue what was happening.
Some of you older folks here may remember the infamous “bubble” that kids wore on their backs in those days.
It was a death trap 'cause it would force the child’s face underwater if it worked up their back.

“Watch what we do,not what we say.” John Mitchell
Sea Hunt Triton 202
Yammy 150

tmax, that is invaluable information, and something anybody who spends time aroung the water should read. Thank you so much for posting it.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
George Orwell

Yikes

Tmax,
You have fulfilled a year’s worth of Good Deeds by posting this article. Thank you, Mike.

quote:
Originally posted by tmax

I know this isn’t the correct forum. As much time as we Inshore guys spend on the water, I thought this to be a great benefit. I pulled this from the NC Waterman site. I guess you can copy and paste this URL in your browser bar if the link doesn’t take you to the site.

http://mariovittone.com/2010/05/154/

Be safe and aware…

Tmax

Good article. I was a lifeguard many moons ago and a section of training was the actual identifying a potential drowning victim. One of the things I always found insgihtful, with kids particularly, they emphasized watching for the lack of face wipe when they surface like noted in the article. It’s a natural response for most kids (and adults) in a normal situation to wipe your face or eyes when you surface. However, under the stress of a drowning situation, they’re too busy trying to push themselves to the surface to wipe their eyes or face when they surface. Again, not absolute, just something to watch for. Please note, a drowning victim needs to be approached very carefully, particularly if they can overpower you. They’re in survival mode and will accidently drown their rescuer trying to stay above water. If you don’t have a float to hand to them first from a safe distance, approach them from behind. Avoid them grabbing you at all cost, you can’t help them if they disable you! If you should be grabbed in a way that gets you in trouble, take them under water and they’re more likely to let go of you to try to get back to surface.

Great information. Besides calling 911, what’s the best thing to do to revive someone who has lost conciousness and/ or has already taken in lots of water? I would think the obvious, check for any breathing, pulse, and try to remove the water from their lungs. What’s the best method for clearing the lungs/ airways? With kids this is something I’ve thought of, but am not sure I know the correct answers.

As a former YMCA certified lifeguard I gotta say, take heed to Downlow’s post above. His information is absolutely correct, especially the part about approaching the victim. Thank you Downlow for summing up a lot of good, important info in a few words.