Dry Ice

Does anyone take Dry Ice out with them? If so, can anyone give me any tips on the handling, or the advantages/disadvantages of having it on board? I have a 21 foot boat and I’m limited on the amount of ice I can take with me. I was wondering if Dry Ice would help in this scenario.

Dry ice is gonna be too cold. It will likely burn your fish if you use it.
I keep about 12 milk jugs and freeze them solid, line the bottom of the fish cooler with them and then cover that with bags of ice. We usually take 2 big coolers if we’re trolling in one of the little boats. One for the fish and one for keeping fresh ice.

keep dry ice in with regular ice to lower the temperature. throw the dry ice overboard as you start adding fish. never tried it, but seems like it would buy some extra time before melting begins.

if you have high gunnels and small kids, the co2 can fill up the boat and possibly hurt them.

quote:
if you have high gunnels and small kids, the co2 can fill up the boat and possibly hurt them.

Good point Cuda, with little or no wind I could see how that could happen.

NN

07 23 Key West Twin 115 Yammys

www.joinrfa.org/

Tried dry ice - just not cost effective. What does work is a cold pack blanket . The heat loss is from above

www.no-miss.com

I have a 230 walkaround and i actually have a good bit of deck space( probably 7’ x 7’) But a peeve of mine is crowded footspace on deck. we use about 100 pounds of ice in the bags. 20 pounds or so go in the fish bag and the rest in the drink/beer coolers. as we drink the beer we transfer the ice to the fish bag as needed. works great, and the bag will hold over 200 pounds of fish. thats about all we ever keep anyway. C&H has a large one for about $150.00 @ Hadrells point

There is a new product I saw at Miami Boat show called Arctic Ice. Reusable blocks that are either 5 degrees on the tundra series, or 33 degrees with the Alaskan series. I am excited to try them offshore this year.

http://www.arcticicellc.com/

quote:
Originally posted by tsolice

Does anyone take Dry Ice out with them? If so, can anyone give me any tips on the handling, or the advantages/disadvantages of having it on board? I have a 21 foot boat and I’m limited on the amount of ice I can take with me. I was wondering if Dry Ice would help in this scenario.

I do. Love that stuff.

With rates so low, now may be the perfect time to refinance or purchase your dream home. If you are thinking about home financing give me a ring!</font id=“blue”>

Heather Leman
Direct: 843-343-8169
NMLS# 279616
hleman@primelending.com
www.shakeyourbouy.com

Thanks for the link JBM. This may be the answer to my problem…