Early (2004) Johnson 4-stroke

I’m looking at a boat with a 2004 Johnson 4-Stroke 115. I don’t know anything about this motor so would appreciate it if anyone with first-hand experience would give an opinion.

Thanks

IIRC that is during the johnzuki years… IE manufactured by Suzuki outboard. Should be just about identical.

quote:
Originally posted by mhebbard

IIRC that is during the johnzuki years… IE manufactured by Suzuki outboard. Should be just about identical.

Well, that’s good info. I guess now I,m required to ask if 2004 Suzuki 4-strokes were good. So, how about it?

Bob

“Remember boys, we are all members of that great fraternity, the Mystic Knights of the Sea”

4 strokes are complicated and 2 strokes are simple.

Does it start and idle?

Water test?

I have a 4 stroke 250…pulled a head on a 90hp…oil tank/reservoir is below the power head and the cooling/exhaust passages are present…corrosion??

When they run , they’re great…like any motor. A little preventive maintenance, and they run.

Check the fuel bowel on the engine for water/rust/trash…they like clean fuel in that vast tank and injectors…carbs can take much more abuse.

Check the oil for water.

Check the foot oil drain plug for metal/water.

Compression/leak down test?

Cross your fingers.

THOSE MOTORS HAD AN ISSUE WITH BURNING A HOLE IN THE EXHAUST HOUSING ADAPTER ON THE PORT SIDE.
ALSO NOTORIOUS FOR BOTTOM CYLINDER CORODING A HOLE BETWEENTHE BLOCK AND THE HEAD.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.bombislandboats.com
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Thanks, Chris.

Bob

“Remember boys, we are all members of that great fraternity, the Mystic Knights of the Sea”

quote:
Originally posted by chris V

THOSE MOTORS HAD AN ISSUE WITH BURNING A HOLE IN THE EXHAUST HOUSING ADAPTER ON THE PORT SIDE.
ALSO NOTORIOUS FOR BOTTOM CYLINDER CORODING A HOLE BETWEENTHE BLOCK AND THE HEAD.

www.bombislandboats.com

Why??? Because of dissimilar metals…or design flaw???

I am not a Japanese engineer, nor do I play one on the internet.:stuck_out_tongue:

probably both to be honest
putting steel an aluminum together in the hot salty exhaust seems like a design flaw

www.bombislandboats.com