Easter Weekend

quote:
Originally posted by steelytom

I just found it the other day. Someone posted it on the striperboard. I spent an hour looking at it to come up with a cut bait spot for tonight but the forecast changed that. 15 to 25 mph winds with 2" of rain.

Wellcraft V-20 sportfish with a 200 Evinrude

I thought you were tougher than that…

“I may be going to hell in a bucket. But at least I’m enjoying the ride”

You thought wrong. I don’t mind the cold or the rain. but cold and rain with 25mph wind is a bit much. Especially if I can wait a few days and fish 80 and sunny

Yea…Stiff NE wind going to be blowing all weekend even after the rain. I’m going to hold off too till an evening after work next week when it warms back up. Shocking, I know.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

Well. The weather kept us on the dock this weekend. We did manage a few hours Sunday afternoon but it was just to get out the house and get some sun on our faces.
Thanks for all the information, hopefully I can use it soon.

quote:
Originally posted by steelytom

Here is a good map with creek names and contour lines. Great for scouting from the couch

http://www.navionics.com/en/webapp

You need to zoom in where lake murray is and wait a few seconds for the lake to show up

Thanks for the link. pretty cool.
I might be doing something wrong, but I don’t see creek names.

Same here.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

You are right, they don’t have the creek names on Murray. I was looking at Hartwell originally and they have all the creek names.

Some lakes will have Creek names while others wont. This is the same map that you will have if you have a navionics chip in your unit.

Since I started traveling to other lakes in the last yr I have noticed how far Murray is behind on being mapped. Lakes like the hill, lanier, and Hartwell all have greater detail as far as submerged trees, road/Creek beds etc…

“All fisherman lie. And if they say otherwise, then they’re lying”

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

Chip … are all those other lakes Corps of Engineers lakes?

Think maybe that’s the reason why Murray isn’t “on the map” is because it’s maintained by SCE&G and not the Fed Government?

quote:
Originally posted by Murrymaker

Some lakes will have Creek names while others wont. This is the same map that you will have if you have a navionics chip in your unit.

Since I started traveling to other lakes in the last yr I have noticed how far Murray is behind on being mapped. Lakes like the hill, lanier, and Hartwell all have greater detail as far as submerged trees, road/Creek beds etc…

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

I totally agree on the lack of definition for Murray maps. I also have the Navionics card, because I couldn't find anything with better detail out there, but there just MIGHT be good news coming.

I found this on another forum concerning Lakemaster HD maps- which to those with Humminbirds are the maps that allow you to use the Follow the Contour feature on your I-pilot link:

“The LakeMaster SouthEast Edition has Richard Russell and Hartwell, both SC border waters. A MidAtlantic Edition will be released at the end of this year that will have South Carolina and other states Northward. Lakes for that card are not yet known, but it would also include the above 2 lakes.
Steve
LakeMaster”</font id=“blue”>

So this doesn’t necessarily mean that a Lakemaster HD Map edition IS coming for Murray- but I sure hope so! We need it.

When we pulled out of Koon’s Landing for the March MSC TX there were 6 other boats pulling out at the same time … All six were mapping Lake Murray although I can’t remember for which company, I think it was Lowrance … Chip asked them so I’m sure he’ll confirm …

They weren’t affiliated with any depth finder company. They were actually working for lake master charts. But lake master had always been mainly used by hummingbird users from what I have seen. I still prefer navionics over them though.

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

Well then that seems to confirm what Todd was saying above …

I put together a “Creek Names” map some time ago … I guess I’ll dust it off and upload it so those of you with knowledge can help me fill in the missing creek names/areas

Thanks Rick. That’s something I’ve needed for a while.

Give me a call when you get a chance. I don’t have your number. I’ve got a question.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

Chip, I’m liking the sound of this! Come on HD Map! The ability to set my trolling motor to a depth and let it follow the contour gets me excited! It’s why I went with Humminbird in the first place…

Nice work Rick! Where were you 10 years ago when I was trying to figure those out? Hell, I still get confused…

I know a lot of people are excited about being able to follow a contour with the TM, but I don’t see the advantage of it in our style of fishing. I am usually trying to target depth changes ie points, cuts, humps. I want to pull across them not around them. I could see the advantage I guess if you wanted to fish the edges of these, but me personally i want to pull across these so that I am covering the whole point/cut/hump…my .02

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude

Point taken, Chip. But I think you will still come across some cuts and humps because they exist on the contours, too. Plus if you are pulling planers, you are still getting bait across some of those features anyway- if you pick the right contour. I’m thinking it will be really helpful for Summertime downrigger fishing for suspended Linesiders: pick the depth and fish! One less thing to worry about.
I do agree that it will probably be more helpful for black bass and ambush species- which I like to catch sometimes, too.

But maybe the most important thing to me is I will be able to utilize a Humminbird/I-pilot+link feature I paid for, and up to this point haven’t been able to use on Murray.

That was my next point about spending the extra 400$ for the add on link to the ipilot. But if you already have it then your good to go…

“Sea~N~Stripes”
21’ Hewes Craft Custom
115 Evinrude