Edisto River Friday Morning...

Fished a different section of water than we usually do. Water was to low to fish our normal area. Barely made it up river in the other place but managed to not hit to many snags.

I used 1/2 ounces spinner baits, she was using 1/4 ounce spinner baits. Had a good time with the smaller Bass, and some decent Redbreast that were hitting her spinner bait. Also caught some on top waters. Mudfish wrecked a few more lures too, as usual.

Great job, never had a bream hit a spinner before. I bet that was fun.

She caught 6 Redbreast that size on that spinner bait. Think I’m going to start using 1/8 ounce Beetle Spins since they attack the 1/4 ounce Bass bait so much…

I love to use beetle spins for bream, helps to weed out the smaller ones.
I have also used larger beetle spins for & had good luck with smaller size bass.

She uses an 1/8 ounce jig head with a light wire hook, #5 spinner harness and 3 inch curly tail grub a lot too, but Mudfish usually bend the hook out while fighting. She hates losing a fish during a fight though so started using the Bass spinner.

I made her some 1/8 ounce jig heads this weekend with stronger hooks for next trip…:slight_smile:

Such a beautiful place. Gotta get back there soon. Doesn’t get much more peaceful than drifting the edisto or combahee

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

Looks like the fish are hungry! Not that you need any better baits, but pick up a couple red roster tails. :wink:

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

Looks like the fish are hungry! Not that you need any better baits, but pick up a couple red roster tails. :wink:

Oh, we have a few Rooster Tails, probably 100 of them, Red, White, Black, Green, Yellow, Purple and even PINK ones.

She hates getting a treble hook out of a Breams mouth though, so seldom uses them. She does like using a Rapala in-line spinner/minnow in Fire tiger sometimes. Everything hits one of those things.

quote:
Originally posted by stlhunr
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67

Oh, we have a few Rooster Tails, probably 100 of them, Red, White, Black, Green, Yellow, Purple and even PINK ones.

She hates getting a treble hook out of a Breams mouth though, so seldom uses them. She does like using a Rapala in-line spinner/minnow in Fire tiger sometimes. Everything hits one of those things.

I should have known! :smiley:

I think I’m gonna pick up a little john boat and try and make some time. When that river gets low it gets limited to up river travel unless your willing to pull over a few low spots. You above or below
I95? Not looking for spots, just curious.

“I should have known!”

Got a couple hundred Rooster Tails on clearance at Walmart once. 20 years ago? Had them marked for 20 cents each, so I bought every one they had…:slight_smile:

Lately we have been fishing above the 17-A bridge, as far up river as we can get, then drift back down. Last trip, with the water as low as it was we got almost up to landing near the Edisto WMA.

That section has a LOT of new trees in the river, as well as many old ones, in the spots where the water is swifter. Got to be careful. That’s why I only fish upriver of my launch point, can always drift back down, if bending a prop…:slight_smile:

Planning to spend a day with a friend just running the river with a chainsaw, to clean out some of the bad spots soon.