Electric Yard Tools

I’m thinking about switching over to all electric yard tools. I’m tired of my gas powered equipment not running properly.

I would like an ecosystem that can be purchased over time. For example, start with a weed eater and blower. I’ll add other tools as needed. Even better would be an ecosystem that includes drills, saws, etc.

Can you guys give me some recommendations? How many volts? What brand? Pro’s and Con’s of going all electric.

I’m just a weekend warrior and all work will be light duty residential type stuff. Thanks in advance.

Check with Skinee and see what his “guy” uses…

“Endeavor to Persevere.
Give,Give… Never Take.”
EC

I’m not sure I want to take advice from a guy that has a robot for a vacuum and a touch screen refrigerator. I’m sure I can’t afford what is “guy” uses.

I did the same years ago. I have the Black and Decker cordless 18v series. Over the years I have collected the 18V weed eater, blower, drill, circ saw, jig saw, chain saw, flashlight, and charger/radio. For my yard the 18v is powerful enough, but my batteries are showing their age and don’t keep the charge long. Need to be replaced.

The newer 20 and 24v systems are attractive, but I can’t justify buying them right now.

j

Electric is nice… but after using Stihl you will never go back. The power and of their handheld equipment is unmatched. There is a HUGE difference in a weedeater from lowes vs a stihl. Also, don’t mix gas and oil but instead buy the premixed tru-fuel in the little metal cans. It’s a little more expensive but will make your life a lot easier.

17’ Mako

Due to my pacemaker I was advise not to use gas engine tools, so I replaced mine with 40 V electric weed eater, chainsaw and blower! Wished I had done it sooner great tools. I ware out before the batterys do. The same battery fits all the tools. There is a factory store in Greenville, S.C. and they will cut you a deal if you ask for it! Sorry its a Ryobi Lithium 40V Next I will get the hedge trimmer.

I already had a craftsman gas weedeater with different attatchments. String trimmer, hedge trimmer, brush cutter, pole saw, ECT. I got tired of messing with the piece of junk carb this year and decided to buy me a battery operated one. I finally found the 80v Kobalt that can be used with all my attatchments and it is actually way more powerful than my gas engine ever was. It charges the battery in about 30 minutes and that charge will last me about an hour on the lower speed (it has 2 speeds). I’m really happy with it so far and they offer a ton of other tools that use the same battery.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

I have a Greenworks cordless electric blower, and I love it. It’s lightweight and it will run about 20 minutes wide open with a fully charged battery. That’s more than enough for my needs. Green works also makes mowers, chain saws, weedeaters, etc. and the batteries are interchangeable on most of the tools. You can order online and Lowes carries some of their stuff.

http://www.lowcountrypregnancycenter.com/

Thanks guys for all the replies. Much appreciated and good info.

I have the kobalt ones from Lowes. 80 volt? And the blower.

*got it on sale for about the same as a good 2 cycle string trimmer and i dont have to dick with it to get it to run after winter is over. Also don’t need hearing protection. If I had > 1/3 acre i would probably feel differently as the run time is not really long, but if you have a couple of tools you will have a couple of batteries and they charge in 30 min.