Electrician/Handy man recomendation - super quick

Hey:

So, this is a little embarrassing but I cant figure out how to turn on the front spotlights at my house.
I know, I know - The switch to turn them on is by my front door. I have landscape lights controlled by Avi-on (a bluetooth ap) but the spots are not connected to this. The front spots hadnt worked for a while, but about a month ago they started working.
Something happened a couple of weeks ago and now they wont turn on.
I’m assuming maybe a GFI tripped somewhere or there is another switch on thus circuit that has been turned off. Bit I have been thru the house and garage etc and cant find it.

Anyway, long story, but I’m trying to find someone who wouldn’t mind coming out for such a small job,

Thanks a lot

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

There are some youtube videos on how to change a light bulb, if you want to save $100 just for Handy-Mandy coming out.

Check your outside receptacles for gfi tripped

quote:
Originally posted by Knuckle Head

There are some youtube videos on how to change a light bulb, if you want to save $100 just for Handy-Mandy coming out.

Is that you again El Bandito?
lol.

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

quote:
Originally posted by sman

Check your outside receptacles for gfi tripped

Thanks SMan, yup, done that,
Ive had a number of contractors do various work at the house and if I had $1 for every time Ive heard “Thats an unusual way of doing that” or some variation of that phrase I would have enough money for 1/3rd of a Yeti can holder.
So i suspect its something a little unusual somewhere.

Thanks

Sell your house and move in to assisted living.

Okay, I changed the battery in my Simpson 260 and one of the boys agreed to drive me over.We’ll have this thing figured out likety split as soon as we finish eating.PS , I told him that you had some top shelf liquor for us after we get the lights on.

quote:

Okay, I changed the battery in my Simpson 260 and one of the boys agreed to drive me over.We’ll have this thing figured out likety split as soon as we finish eating.PS , I told him that you had some top shelf liquor for us after we get the lights on.

I’ll bring my hand cranked megger.

I had a megger until I showed the boys how to catch catfish with it.haha

quote:
Originally posted by 7cs
quote:

I’ll bring my hand cranked megger.

I still use a hand crank megger, #128513;

Ya know, it must be nice living in Neverneverland. Remind me to come visit you, when I need a break from reality.

quote:

Yup, top shelf, and i have developed (after extensive testing) the best Manhattan North of Broad, so let me know when to start pouring! :slight_smile:

Did you get this figured out Doc?

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Thanks for asking, short answer is yes but I’m a very unsatisfactory way. They now work, I did not find a hidden GFI or switch. The wiring in the switch that now turns them on and off is fine, they just started working again. I thought my wife might be f’ing with me but she swears she isn’t. While they are working I’ve gone through the house, garage looking for a switch that will turn them off (apart from the main switch by front door) to no avail. Anyway, I can’t think about it any more as it’s driving me crazy.

Cheers!

Fishing Nerd

quote:

Thanks for asking, short answer is yes but I’m a very unsatisfactory way. They now work, I did not find a hidden GFI or switch. The wiring in the switch that now turns them on and off is fine, they just started working again. I thought my wife might be f’ing with me but she swears she isn’t. While they are working I’ve gone through the house, garage looking for a switch that will turn them off (apart from the main switch by front door) to no avail. Anyway, I can’t think about it any more as it’s driving me crazy.

Cheers!

Fishing Nerd

Sometimes the photocells (photoelectric eye) on those flood lights will fail and can be very finicky. As far as the switch goes, on one that you know controls it, looks at the switch and see if you can read ON/OFF on it. If so, its just a single pole switch controlled from that location. If it doesn’t have the ON/OFF on it, then its a 3 or 4 way switch and can be controlled from more than one place…although if that was the case the original switch should have re-applied the power to turn it on…let me know you need any help!

Fishing Nerd

quote:

Sometimes the photocells (photoelectric eye) on those flood lights will fail and can be very finicky. As far as the switch goes, on one that you know controls it, looks at the switch and see if you can read ON/OFF on it. If so, its just a single pole switch controlled from that location. If it doesn’t have the ON/OFF on it, then its a 3 or 4 way switch and can be controlled from more than one place…although if that was the case the original switch should have re-applied the power to turn it on…let me know you need any help!

Thank you very much. I’m out of town, but will look at the switch again as you advise.

Cheers

Fishing Nerd

I’e got one on my boat shed that will not work after a power outage unless you unhook the hot wire to re set it ( it is not switched stays hot all the time) might be your problem?

quote:
Originally posted by boatpoor

I’e got one on my boat shed that will not work after a power outage unless you unhook the hot wire to re set it ( it is not switched stays hot all the time) might be your problem?

Thank you sir, nothing would surprise me at this point. Im out of town right now, already wondering if they will be working when i get home tonight!

cheers