Electrician opinions - Electrician needed

My parents are having an addition built which requires the relocation of their current power meter. Initially they had a quote from the electrician to do this for $4500 after he came out and checked out the house and situation. Now that the GC has removed the existing patio, set forms and is ready for the electrician to come in before pouring the slab and starting framing, the electrician has now said it will cost $6000 for the same job. They, as well as myself, believe this to be a little out of hand. They are ready for the whole process to be completed but do not feel comfortable since two days before the electrician was scheduled to come do the work, he sends them a “revised” estimate for $1500 more. The only thing that has changed from the original estimate is the price. I’m wanting some opinions on this and if there are any electricians on here(or good recommendations) they are very interested in some second and third estimates.

The power meter has to be relocated around the corner to the rear of the house. So that the time without power is to a minimal, the quote is for a new meter box, a new trench and wires ran from the transformer for 150A service(~40ft)(they already currently have 150A service as well so it is not an upgrade) and running new main wires/installing a new breaker box in the garage. The electrician is also recommending adding a power pole and running the main power wires overhead from the new meter box and then having them enter the house to run to the new breaker box in the garage. We don’t understand why they cannot be ran either through the attic or along the house in conduit which could be disguised in some way later down the road and also why he cannot tie into and use the existing breaker box in the garage. We can’t get any explanation on these questions since once they told him they were not ok with this sudden $1500 increase he has not returned any of their calls.

If someone would like to come out and see the house it is in West Point subdivision in Mt P off Rifle Range. Eith

Mr.Sparky.
There is someone on this site that works for them.ReelShock is his screen name.

Double D.

Makes no sense to do a 150 amp, 200 amp is the same price if not cheaper.
I’m sure if you look around you’ll find someone cheaper but a quick turnaround is key, power off and restored same day is a bunch off work.

I am a commercial electrician and that price is high. I would call and get a few other opinions. Granted I am not there so see if there are any serious difficulties but I know cost of materials and have a general idea of what it would cost material wise based on what there estimate says and I would highly reccomend calling someone else. I buy material daily and the price hasn’t fluctuated much lately so just the fact they won’t give U an explanation is a red flag. This is a very simple job. Unfortunately I am not in the area bc I would come look at it. Get a few other opinions before they pour the slab if it’s not too late

I am out of town on a big job right now if you have any questions feel free to PM me I’ll be happy and do my best to help

The numbers you are getting do seem a good bit too high. Let me get you in contact with a guy I know.
You got a PM.

No, I am not with Mr. Sparky.
However I am a licensed Master Electrician, adjunct instructor for electrical at TTC, and a former business owner of a industrial electrical contracting company. Currently working on a CPA degree and part time cattle farmer.

Thanks for the info guys. We actually had two electricians come by yesterday and already have the quote from one and it is much better than even the initial $4500. It definitely seems that the first guy was trying to pull one over on them. We also had SCEG come out to look at doing the trench and wires up to the meter base and they were only going to charge $540 and can do it with one days notice. Then that just leaves needing an electrician to set the meter base and run new wires to the existing breaker box which may be a better option. We are getting quotes from both electricians for both options.

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

The numbers you are getting do seem a good bit too high. Let me get you in contact with a guy I know.
You got a PM.

No, I am not with Mr. Sparky.
However I am a licensed Master Electrician, adjunct instructor for electrical at TTC, and a former business owner of a industrial electrical contracting company. Currently working on a CPA degree and part time cattle farmer.

DAYUM. what do you do in your spare time?

Fish. “Play count a license plate or cars, but there weren’t no other cars…” A COOOOLLLLLDDDD beer for whoever can come up with the name of that song…

Learning a metal lathe, milling machine, do some wood working, ad try to do some home brewing.

You?

He picks on 23 Sellsfish:smiley: