Ever take a little boat offshore?

I’ve fished a 19 maycraft to ledge several times. Obviously weather is a huge factor. Was nice only burning 35 gallons thru a Suzuki df140.

G & W Boatworks, LLC
Detailing & Bottom Painting
843-991-1495

Years ago we were out at gstream about 90 mi out on the Old Gulfstream2 in 300’ of water and 3 - 15’ glassmaster trihulls followed us out. No crap. They had lots of fuel cans with them.
It was nice with 2-4’ swells. I heard one was famous so to speak with the Coasties. He had been picked up so may times he had to pay if he had to call them.
Like they say if you are safe and pic your days you can go 12-15 mi if you got a buddy boat in a smaller vessel. I’ve been to Paradise reef in 15’ Jon and to Edisto60 in a 1720 Keywest.

J Ford

Last year we were out trolling for dolphin about 48 miles out and a 17" sea pro came trolling past us. 2 guys on board and about 8 to 10 extra bright orange fuel cans were spread around that boat. Crazy if you ask me. Also saw a 15 foot john boat with a tiller 25 hp on it at the Charleston 60 last year.

OK, if we are telling foolish things we have done…I have been to the Paradise reef several times in my 11 foot Whaler with a 25 Evinrude. Compass heading from M-1, no GPS or radio.

2005 Sea Hunt 212 Triton
“Head East”

Had my J16 to the Edisto 60 many times with a 25 hp! Pick your days and listen to the radio. Look what the guys out of Cuba use! Have seen 20’ Pangas 30 mi. off Trinadad with 40 hp tiller outboards commercial fishing, come back in with fish loaded over the gunnels and beach the in the surf!

I’ve been 55 out in my 19 sea pro bay boat- fished the ledge with it many times- used to fish 90’- 120’ in a 14’ McKee in the early 80 with just a map and compass. just got lucky it never got bad when we were out there, always like glass.

my 1720 went farther then it should have on several occasions

Took my Sea Hunt 202 Triton 62 miles off a few years ago.
Didn’t really enjoy the trip. I was nervous about the weather all day. Kept watching the horizon for squalls etc.
I have been 600+ miles offshore many times in capable sail boats and know how fast weather conditions can change.
The trip home seemed to take forever. These little 20’ers cannot bash through seas the way larger off-shore boats can.
I never repeated. 20’ boats are really too small to handle heavy weather.
“Pick your days”? Sure, and have good luck to boot!

16’ Alumacraft Mod V Hull Jon Boat
25hp Yammy 4 stroke

If this wind ever decides to lay down on a Saturday I’d be glad to buddy boat off shore.

Sea Fox 186 Commander