Ever take a little boat offshore?

I’ve seen many posts where folks said they would NEVER take anything less than a 21’ boat “offshore”, much less even to the jetties on a calm day.

I have had my 15’ Key West out to the jetties, 4KI, Fred Day, Capers and some others numerous times with no issues. I used to dive a good bit on these and other places.

Of course, I always had another boat and all safety equipment aboard.

I now have a 17’ Sea Hunt Triton and plan to be able to get out and do the same, taking some friends along, and 2-3 other boats.

I have seen “John Boats” well out past the jetties, as well as 15’ whalers 30+ miles offshore. By themselves!

What is your experience?

2006 17’ Sea Hunt Triton w/ 90 Yamaha, formerly a 1991 15’ Key West Explorer w/ 60 Johnson.

Wait for it:wink: big7mm, I’m not making fun or anything! Just wait for it!

I pick my days and if it’s not good I don’t mind turning around at the inlet, but I’ve been out to 4ki, edisto 40 and even made it out to the edisto 60 once. I’ve been way more scared of conditions in the Broad river than I was of being offshore, but that’s because if it was too rough, I turned my ass around.

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Wait for it:wink: big7mm, I’m not making fun or anything! Just wait for it!

Whatever do you mean Easy?:wink:

2006 17’ Sea Hunt Triton w/ 90 Yamaha, formerly a 1991 15’ Key West Explorer w/ 60 Johnson.

pick your days*

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

pick your days*

Good advice!

one day when i get a snootful i’ll post some of the stoopid stuff i did when i was young. crackerlarry did worse.

quote:
one day when i get a snootful i'll post some of the stoopid stuff i did when i was young. crackerlarry did worse. Go to Top of Page

I’d buy that book.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
one day when i get a snootful i'll post some of the stoopid stuff i did when i was young. crackerlarry did worse.

Probably so [:I]

I don’t have any problem taking my 18’ home built skiff 50 miles offshore. Been to the Bahamas 3 times in it. But I built the boat, I know it’s capabilities and I know mine. And I pick my days :smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Man, that didn’t take long! I figured, no one would want to be the first to say it[:0]:smiley:

I’ve taken my 19 SeaPro to Charleston 60 and 4KI, but I won’t take it any further than those spots, even on a good day. Too many things can happen and the weather around here is too unpredictable so I like to play on the safe side.

Somebody crossed the atlantic in a 21 ft flats boat a couple years ago. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qfl7IWfHz_Y

Mayhem
Pioneer 197

Define little boat? Used to take a 14ft McKee to the Blackfish Banks & R8 when i was younger. Taken my 21 to Bubblerock before.

21 Contender

fished the nearshore reefs out of cape fear and OI many times in my
18’ G3 with 90hp jet drive just have to pick your days !!!:smiley:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

I’ve fished 4KI in a 15’ Bentz-Craft…just gotta pick your day and be willing to call it and turn back if it gets the least bit of doubt in your mind whether you and/or the boat can handle it if it got any worse.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

I take my 18’ SeaPro to the Edisto 40 a couple times a year. Carefully picking my days. Thats almost 10 mi offshore. I won’t go any further regardless of the Wx. My boat is a little old to trust :slight_smile:

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

quote:
Originally posted by Optiker

I take my 18’ SeaPro to the Edisto 40 a couple times a year. Carefully picking my days. Thats almost 10 mi offshore. I won’t go any further regardless of the Wx. My boat is a little old to trust :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the replies folks. Y’all are the best.

Dave, let me know when you’re going. I can bring dive gear so we’ll have fish, whether they’re biting, or not.:wink:

I ran my J14 almost 15 miles out quite a few times. Regularly ran 5-10 miles out. Caught lots of fish and had lots of fun. Always went prepared(GPS, VHF, etc…) and never was afraid to turn around. There is a lot of piece of mind that goes with a positive flotation hull no matter the size. Pick your days and don’t exceed your comfort level.

Carolina Skiff JV17
Hydra-Sport 22 Bay

LOOK UP GOREE CHALLENGE HE PADDLED A SMALL BOAT A LONG WAY SEEN HIM IN FT PIERCE FLA THEN IN MURRELLS INLET ABOUT A MONTH LATER.

there’s a few pioneer owners that go pretty deep.

Pioneer 197sf