Exercised Induced Collapse in dogs

we’re not sure of the breed of our rescue, but I am pretty certain that she suffers from EIC…I swear she’d run herself slap to death if I let her…scary stuff…I’ve always been a cat guy so this is kinda new to me…how many of you deal with this with your dog?

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

Mine is the opposite. If we wear her down too much at the dog park, she will just trot to the gate and wait for me there. One time she grabbed the leash out of my hand and took it to the exit!

Bonz, she will slow down as she gets older! I had an English Retriever that would run like that when she was a pup! I thought she would give a Gray hound a run for the money! If she got loose she would start chasing birds. If she lost one bird, she soon kicked up another one to chase. She’ll stop when she gets tired enough! Give her time and get a tracking collar on her so you can keep up! :smiley:

I don’t hunt with her, she only shrimps…I’m talking just throwing the ball in the back yard or at the dog park…we can control her activity, but if you’re not careful she’ll overheat quickly…to the point of wobbling around like she’s tied on an Easy drunk…

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

Bonz, she will slow down as she gets older! I had an English Retriever that would run like that when she was a pup! I thought she would give a Gray hound a run for the money! If she got loose she would start chasing birds. If she lost one bird, she soon kicked up another one to chase. She’ll stop when she gets tired enough! Give her time and get a tracking collar on her so you can keep up! :smiley:

Esay, the problem is she has to live long enough to get older. It’s not really common, but dogs experience it. I think it’s genetic. The wobble is indicative. I don’t know if there is a treatment. I had a lab that had it. It’s really scary if they swim too much.

You’ll never see a cat exercise himself to death.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

quote:
wobbling around like she's tied on an Easy drunk...

band him

I can see him now at the dog park

Seriously though, our King Charles was recently diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure, you can’t tell him that though, and he needs to be “slowed” down from time to time and my best gal has one of these. If your dog is over 20lbs it will be kinda hard to do.

Down here is where a signature goes but they can confuse and anger some people so I don’t have one.

No wobbles when Easy gets drunk! Hard to wobble, laying on the couch:wink:

Bonz, our Boykin Spaniel has same issue. Her instinct to retrieve surpasses her biological instinct to rest. I spoke with my vet about it the first time it occurred as I was extremely concerned. Vet said it is very common in chocolate labs and has seen it in some Boykins. They did not know if it might be tied to some type of chocolate gene. Your dog does not appear to have any chocolate and it’s bloodline to me but I guess you never know. My dog is over 12 years old now but I think she will still retrieve until she drops. We just monitor her very close and always keep plenty of cold water close at hand. Fortunately we only have experienced it a couple of times, both times I was able to get her inside quickly and put ice on her belly to get her cooled off.

Bonz, I called Cesar and he should be getting in touch with you soon to set up an appointment! He won’t hit on your wife, like Cantore!:wink:

yea, she’s 40lbs so no over-the-shoulder-Fritz-doggie-holder for us…at the dog park or on the beach it’s not as much of an issue because she also loves the water and gets in every chance she gets…but yea, when you have to ice them down in the house, that’s when it can get scary…

and no, Willi the cat will never get close to exercising himself to death…unless he’s all hopped on catnip maybe…

http://www.justlabradors.com/health-and-nutrition/exercise-induced-collapse-labrador-retrievers

Pretty good read.

18’ Hewes Bayfisher

Just get a Basset Hound like I have, and you will witness lazy induced collapse…

RBF

Had a Border collie that would run catch and return frisby until so
tired she would run “slower” pick it up then stand and look back ,waiting on me to come get it , then if I threw it again she would trot a few yds and then walk to it and lay down , again if I
threw it she would just look in direction it went , all the while
tongue dragging the ground… Wife called me MEAN but dog loved it…
Lost her to old age and hip failure , sure miss my buddy!!!:smiley:

[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown