Exhaust Pipe Fix??

While installing a trailer hitch on my oldest son’s car, we noticed how bad the flanges were where the exhaust pipe connects to the muffler. Not wanting to wait for it to break at the worst possible time, I took pics and went by a Midas and a couple of muffler shops to get repair estimates. Midas wanted $150 to cut the flanges off and weld in a “sleeve” and one shop said that the entire pipe and muffler have to be replaced. The pipe and the flanges must be different metals because the pipes are still solid. The flanges not so much.

Here is the pipe.

Would something like this work if I cut the flanges off or would I be better off having a sleeve welded in place? No prior experience working with exhaust systems with the exception of putting Hooker headers and Thrush mufflers on my brother’s 67 Stang nearly 40 years ago.

Leave it alone Pea.

With it being on the “exhaust side”, I believe the sleeve you posted should work fine.

NN

If you took a saws all as close as possible to both flanges and used a clamp as shown you may get just as much time or less than leaving it alone. I personally hate exhaust work, is that the inlet to the muffler? $150 doesn’t sound too bad…

Don’t think duck tap can fix that! That clamp should do the job, hope there is enough room for the saws all. Good luck!!

IF we drop the muffler from those little rubber donut thingys, there is plenty of room for a Sawzall. Yeah, $150 isn’t a lot to me bit, he is paying for repairs and he is working real hard to save money to go back to school. That is why I started thinking about us doing it and trying a clamp.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Use the clamp. Or you can get the flexible exhaust pipe for an emergency fix. Back in the day we would cut that off and ride.

Double D.

put the clamp on for now. my new shop will hopefully be done in a month or so. bring it and a 6 pack by once i get the shop done and ill weld on new flanges for you

Proline 201WA
Aloha 24ft pontoon (LooneyToon)
Old Town stern with 7.5 johnson

actually taking a 2nd look at the picture, the welds look fine for now. just leave it be, and once the shop is done, ill weld new flanges on for you

Proline 201WA

So are you saying don’t mess with it at all until I can get it out to you? IF so, I’d pay you a case, a six pack makes me look cheap.

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

So are you saying don’t mess with it at all until I can get it out to you? IF so, I’d pay you a case, a six pack makes me look cheap.

Lol:smiley:. That sounds like the plan! I don’t see any black soot evidence.

Can you still get Schaffer’s?

He didn’t say a 6 pack of what!

That is a mighty generous offer! There is no soot so there does not appear to be an exhaust leak at this time. Just started thinking about repairing it BEFORE it breaks because that kind of stuff usually happens out of town and then you are at the mercy of some repair guy you don’t know. Let me know once you are operational and I’ll gladly ride out with a case of beer (just let me know what kind). Should I measure the pipe and try to find a couple of flanges ahead of time?

Good work TheMechanic

wire brush it and take another look. You may have more flange metal than you think

Pieces were pretty much falling off as we were working around it putting on a trailer hitch. If I don’t fix it, it will break at the worst possible time. If I fix it, it will have lasted 5 more years.

There is a guy at The Muffler Shop on Remount Rd next to Autozone that does good work and is reasonable on money. May want him to look at it.

Thanks, I’m actually up in Columbia. Hoping it stays together long enough to take it out to TheMecahnic’s shop. I love drooling over other people’s shops and the offer to repair for beer is too generous.

quote:
Originally posted by ReelShock

There is a guy at The Muffler Shop on Remount Rd next to Autozone that does good work and is reasonable on money. May want him to look at it.

Bet he’s not as reasonable as a six pack of beer the Mechanic is charging. :smiley:

I’m a high class broad, only bud light feeds this gut. is it still the stock exhaust on the truck?

Proline 201WA

Bud light it is. Yes, stock exhaust and it is on a Subaru Outback. I’ll measure the pipe and pick up some flanges, nuts and bolts. Let me know when you are operational.