F225 dry exhaust corrosion

Before we get started, this topic is being created to help me make an informed decision on my next boat. I am not questioning the value of the Yamaha F225, just trying to determine what type of repairs the future could hold for these motors. I’m not trying to recreate the discussions that were all over the web, just trying to get some local information from outboard repair folks who have been there first hand.

If you do a google search, there are plenty of complaints of dry exhaust corrosion in the early (pre-2005) Yamaha F225 first generation. The issue seems to have destroyed the oil pan and exhaust parts in motors with less than 700 hours. Yamaha even has a kit to replace the exhaust parts that are damaged with improved parts.

Does anyone know the build date where the improved parts were installed from the factory?

Is this even an issue in our area? I’ve only had good reviews from all the Yamaha folks here in town that I know have owned them.

WE HAVE SEEN A FAIR NUMBER OF THEM
MOST WERE REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY
IF YOU DROP THE LOWER UNIT YOU CAN SIMPLY LOOK IN THE EXHAUST WITH A FLASHLIGHT AND TELL IMMEDIATELY IF ITS AN ISSUE
IF THE PROBLEM ISNT THERE NOW, CHANCES ARE ITS NEVER GOING TO BE AN ISSUE AT THIS POINT.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.joinrfa.org
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Thanks chris v! That’s exactly the input I needed.

Problem wasn’t visible on mine that I bought just over a year ago with around 1300 hours. Now just under 1500 hours and had to install the updated parts. Did it myself in just under 6 hours and for less than $1000 in parts which included dry exhaust kit, oil pump, speedi sleeve (only to replace the bad one that was already installed), oil and filter, Loctite 572 and few other odds and ins.

Motors are great but the exhaust corrosion should definitely be investigated prior to a purchase. Here are some photos of my midsection -

I have a 2005 F250 is my motor fall into the years of affected motors?

MOSTLY JUST THE 225

MATT ON THE FIRST PICTURE I SEE PITTING, BUT I DONT SEE ANY HOLES IN THE PLATE THAT USUALLY CAUSE THE OVERHEAT

www.joinrfa.org

quote:
Originally posted by chris V

MOSTLY JUST THE 225

MATT ON THE FIRST PICTURE I SEE PITTING, BUT I DONT SEE ANY HOLES IN THE PLATE THAT USUALLY CAUSE THE OVERHEAT

www.joinrfa.org

Thankfully I caught it in time and didn’t experience the overheating at idle. I noticed large bubbles in the water first while in neutral. Then I saw an oil sheen a few hours later. I smelled oil burning which really got my attention. That led me to the crankshaft seal that was leaking on the drive shaft. The hot exhaust was burning the oil on the drive shaft as it was covered in black soot and the oil had began leaking into the dry exhaust area as well. No water in oil fortunately.

It’s all back together now and I’m going to try and get offshore tomorrow weather permitting:smiley:

Might consider selling the boat towards the end of the year. I’ll catch up with you when I’m ready:)

quote:
Originally posted by contender1

I have a 2005 F250 is my motor fall into the years of affected motors?

X2 on the F225. There were a few cases of the F250.