Favorite Vise?

Looking for a new vise for standard saltwater flies (4-3/0 hooks). Just curious of any recommendations y’all have.

Thanks

I’ve got a Renzetti that I’ve had for about 6 years or so that I really like. Haven’t used many others though. Give Peak a look too, btw

I use a Regal, that has the standard jaws. It’s the early Medallion model, but the one I have is so old, it was made before they started putting the Medallions on them and I got it before they made the Big Game version. So, I’ve been tying on it for over 25 years I would guess.

Mine won’t hold all of the larger hooks that I use, but otherwise has been a great vise. It will hold to about a 2/0, some lighter wire 3/0’s, but in that range & larger, the jaws don’t open wide enough for some heavier wire hooks I’ve used.

I tie some jigs that have hooks in them up to 12/0, and use a home made vise for them, made from an old pair of Vise Grip pliers.

I have everything I use covered now, so never bought another Regal for the larger hooks. I highly recommend them, but like Pez said, have not tied on other vises too much with the larger hooks.

I actually own several old vises, and they’re all fine for small flies, but don’t even compare to the Regal.

I’ve got the Peak rotary. Nothing too fancy, but I’ve been very pleased with it so far, especially for the price.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

bryson, a lot of folks seems to really like the Peak. What’s the biggest hook you’ve used in it?

tstreetp,

I’ve tied on both Renzetti and Peak.

The Peak is less smooth but will hammer any fly you need to tie in your described hook range. I’ve held a 7/0 for offshore flies but it’s a little loose.

I wouldn’t of tried to put a 7/0 in my Renzetti Traveler.

We carry both at our Fin to Feather and I have a Peak at our WA location.

I’ve tied up to 5/0, I think, when I was having fun spinning some flies up for reef donkeys.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

Thanks for the replies!

I bought a Regal knock-off a few years ago, a clamp model, and I’ve had up to 5/0 in it, but even that depends on the hook & how heavy the wire may be. A 5/0 Mustad 3407/34007 will fit in it, but a Eagle Claw 254 in 5/0 is hard to get in the jaws. It’s not the same quality as the Regal, but good enough for what I use it for, especially since I only paid about $35 for it. That’s a lot less than a Regal.

I tie flies up to about a 7/0 size, but not enough of them to justify the cost of a new vise.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. From what I can tell, Peak seems to be the most efficient vise both in terms of cost and features.

Whatever you decide to get, welcome to the addiction! :smiley:

I’ve tied with several off brands over the years. Bought a Norvise last Winter at the Atlanta Fly Fishing show and absolutely love it! Purchased the fine point jaws for tying smaller flies and the guys at the show switched out the standard jaws that come with the vise for the large jaws to tackle big hooks. The automatic bobbin from Norvise is awesome as well. The price was not cheap but tying with the vise and the automatic bobbin has definitely upped my game.

Tight Lines!

There is no greater fan of Fly Fishing Than the Worm!

Dare to be different! Regal Medallion.
I tie everything from midges to Tarpon flies with no adjustments.
Tying for 38 years now and about 25-30 on that vice.

quote:
Originally posted by tstreetp

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. From what I can tell, Peak seems to be the most efficient vise both in terms of cost and features.

I am a low volume novice tyer but I have had a Peak for several years and very satisfied with it. I bought based on overwhelming reviews as the best value vice.

I know many folks who tie, and several commercial tyers. It seems that, in no particular order either, just what they use, Regal, Peak & Renzetti are the top choices, and Norvise is right in there too.

IMO, a lot of what vise a person chooses/uses is personal preference, and what you get used to tying on. When a person first starts to tie, they have no point of reference. As long as the vise holds all the hook sizes they’ll use, any can be fine.

It’s like choosing a fly rod. An experienced angler can fish with any rod, but may want or prefer a specific rod model for the type of fishing they do most, or even for a specific purpose, because they’re not all the same. A beginning angler doesn’t know what will be best for them.

Vises can be like that too and when starting out a person really doesn’t always know what they’ll like best, or why. Then, it’s usually the matter of the financial choice.

Any of these brands can be great choices. :smiley: