Feedback Requested

I have a friend who is high up in the US Army Corps of Engineers and he asked me if I could help him get some ■■■■■■■■.

The image below shows two berms placed by the USACOE a while back, and they were purposely placed away from the bank in hopes of providing good structure for fishing/crabbing, etc.

He would like to know if people are catching fish, crabs, shrimp or baitfish that are attracted to these structures.

If so, please let me know. PM me if you don’t want to be public about it. If they work well, they may wish to make more at other inshore spots. For that matter, if you think another layout would work better i think that would be valuable to them too.

I pretty much never fish down there so I have no idea.

Thanks,
Dave (Optiker)

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.ralphphillipsinshore.com

hey dave i can tell you its in a BUNCH of silty mud… hadnt seen much in the way of fish there but i can tell you the stone crabs love it. My guess is if the bank was more what the fish would like it to be the structure would be great. just my 2 pennies

I’ve never seen anybody fishing there the dozen or so times I’ve been by there…but I’ve always wondered if they held sheeps. They do seem to be a little high up the bank though. I had no idea they were mean for fishing structure.

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 21 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 17 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by sniper7

My guess is if the bank was more what the fish would like it to be the structure would be great.

sniper7 can you elaborate more on this? I’m not sure what you mean. Thanks for your other ■■■■■■■■ - very helpful

I haven’t fished this rock pile but have fished similar ones and they generally put them to close to shore and in a straight line parallel to the bank on rather featureless zone. I’ve always thought that if it was angled it would work better so you could fish shallow and deep, and if they put them closer to things like bends, oyster beds, or lightly concreted them so growth occurs easier or seeded oysters by to add more attractive features. I made a hard cloth cage/box and dip it in concrete and it had all types of growth on it in about 8 months that filled all the small holes and the large holes allowed bigger fish to go after the small things that inhabited it. Often I would pull it up and there would be small groupers or black sea bass or grunts in there and there where always fish around it and seemed to attract lots of small game fish. The box was about 5ft by 4ft by 1ft I’ve always wanted to do a large one or multiple ones in a area, I’m sure it would be a good fish at tractor and fairly cheap to make. This was inshore off a dock I used to fish a lot.

Thanks!

Those would be hard to fish anyway. I have fished behind the walls of the bridge and it is a nightmare when boats come by. No one comes through there that isn’t throwing some kind of wake.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

quote:
Originally posted by carolinacoot

Those would be hard to fish anyway. I have fished behind the walls of the bridge and it is a nightmare when boats come by. No one comes through there that isn’t throwing some kind of wake.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

I agree with this. I have fished the bigger one once or twice when I have been down and didn’t have any luck on it. I agree with others to maybe place them in a little different areas that already are fishy areas with better bank structures.

17 Carolina Skiff
60 Johnson

Probably better if they were in a no wake zone. If not anchored far enough off you will get pushed on top by every boat that comes by. There used to be a good bit of large boat traffic come by there.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

quote:
Originally posted by 40inchreds

I haven’t fished this rock pile but have fished similar ones and they generally put them to close to shore and in a straight line parallel to the bank on rather featureless zone. I’ve always thought that if it was angled it would work better so you could fish shallow and deep, and if they put them closer to things like bends, oyster beds, or lightly concreted them so growth occurs easier or seeded oysters by to add more attractive features.

I agree, angled shallow to deep will give more options

Also, instead of having the rock in a straight run, like this __________ it’ll be better to have the rock wall in segments like this ____ ______ ______

That will make more areas for current to run through, and it’ll allow boats to get on the backside of the rocks to dodge boat wakes and fish thos current washes.

Might get some reds there in the winter sunning themselves. If it was irregular in shape I would stop and fish… Kind of like an old fort ////–/----/