Feral cats

My subdivision is overrun with wild feral cats & I’m trying to get rid of as many as I can. Animal Control won’t do anything but pick them up if I catch them. I bought a couple of live traps and have caught a few (4). Then they stopped. I’m assuming that they are weary of the traps now. I’ve been moving them to different spots every day, with fresh food in them every day, but still no cats in the trap. I don’t want to poison because they would probably die in my yard where my dogs would get them. Plus if they died somewhere else, another animal would get them. The wife won’t let me use the pellet gun. Any suggestions?

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
Custom Aluminum Fabrication
803-727-4069

Put the word out to the Chinese restaurants in the area! Those people eat cats and they will come out and clean up for you!:wink:

Feral cats figure out traps quickly.Cover the trap with pine needles or straw including the inside bottom of the trap.They will not see the trap and go in. I always used sardines,pour some of the oil at the entrance of the trap,they cant stand that!

Also put some catnip in the trap

PROUD YANKEE

Oyster Baron

NMFS = No More Fishing Season

“Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him”

Send the wife out shopping

First, Most, Biggest

17 and still trapping, in a nice subdivision

Pioneer 197SF

the loins are so small

quote:
Originally posted by Blueskyguy

17 and still trapping, in a nice subdivision

Pioneer 197SF

What’s your secret? I haven’t caught any in three days.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
803-727-4069

Have you contacted the SPCA or any of the other “animal” groups? There were a bunch of feral cats near a restaurant on my side of town and some group trapped them, spayed/neutered them and then released them because they were too wild for pets.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

No Doug, I haven’t. It may be something to check into.
With that being said, I’m not real keen on the idea of them being released, spayed/neutered or not. They come in my fenced back yard, crap, then my dogs eat it or roll in it. Then I have to deal with puking dogs that stink like cat crap. Not to mention rabies & other diseases & parasites they can transfer to other animals. I’d just as soon have them humanely put down.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
803-727-4069

quote:
Originally posted by billymac

Feral cats figure out traps quickly.Cover the trap with pine needles or straw including the inside bottom of the trap.They will not see the trap and go in. I always used sardines,pour some of the oil at the entrance of the trap,they cant stand that!

X2 on the sardines…best bait I’ve found…you can usually find them at the dollar store.

Seems to work best for me if the trap is up along some structure as opposed to just leaving it out in the open. I pour the juices at the entrance and leave the can right there and then make a trail of small pieces of sardines from the entrance to the bait at the back of the trap.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

I’ve been setting them tucked up in the hedges & bushes around the sides of the yard. I did well for a few days, then nothing. I’m going to get some sardines tomorrow. I’ve been using cat food.

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
803-727-4069

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

Have you contacted the SPCA or any of the other “animal” groups? There were a bunch of feral cats near a restaurant on my side of town and some group trapped them, spayed/neutered them and then released them because they were too wild for pets.

Man, I just don’t see the logic? Put that kind of money in a feral cat and release it?! Just kill the darn thing and be done with it. We (Man) stared it, have the stones to finish it. Or… put it in a home with a smoker. :clown_face: seen the comercials? :smiley:

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Man, I just don't see the logic? Put that kind of money in a feral cat and release it?! Just kill the darn thing and be done with it

I didn’t do it, some PETA type people did. I like cats but, personally I have no problem humanely euthanizing them.

If you catch one with a clipped ear it is one that was fixed and released.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

Compound bow…

“Kleenex, The Official Sponsor of Fishb8”

Feral Cats are territorial. If they are fixed and released they will defend their area. They will not allow a breeder feral cat in their area, thus reducing the population over time of feral cats. That is there logic. :face_with_head_bandage:
Cats live 15-20 years, although feral cats don’t live that long. Pellets reduce that lifetime a little quicker. :wink:
Are you looking for a solution now or in 10 years?
If someone could make cats taste as good as chicken, it would not be an issue, we need some chefs to come up with a tastier cat recipe. :smiley:

Find out who’s feeding the dam things and shoot them with a pellet gun every time they go to put more food out;)

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

Let the dogs out.

quote:
Originally posted by BREEZE1

Let the dogs out.

I’ve got three small wiener dogs. Even if they could catch the cats, I’m afraid they might be on the losing end. These cats are WILD!!

Bob Van Gundy
Marine Designs,Inc.
803-727-4069