Fiberglass Recommendations?

Looking into buying a fiberglass 7wt, hoping to hear some recommendations. Nothing too expensive (<$500)… Been researching Echo, Blue Halo and Epic.

Also, any tips about switching to glass?

I have an orvis fiberglass rod and absolutely love it. It’s only a 3 wt for trout but my buddy uses his 7 wt glass for redfishing and looks to be a blast. Plus they come with the great orvis 25 year warranty.

As far as tips for switching to glass. Just slow your cast down. If you have a full flex glass like I do it only takes a few casts to get use to how slow you cast has to be. And when you hook a fish get ready for a fun fight.

IMO, any rod over $100 is expensive, particularly fiberglass. Why not just save your money for other gear, and find either an older used ■■■■■■■ glass rod or, one of the Eagle Claw glass rods, which can be had new for under $50. ■■■■■■■ is going to be more money, but they’re a fine rod and Eagle Claw has a good following. Yes, it’s glass & there have been advances in rod designs, but it’s still glass.

My very first fly rod back in the 70’s was a Cortland, glass 8 wt. I caught a lot of fish on that rod. Bass, Stripers, Bluefish, Spanish, Seatrout, Black Drum and a variety of other fish species. It didn’t allow me to cast 70’, but within 50’ it was good, and unless this is going to be your only rod, you probably won’t need to be casting beyond that range anyway too often. If you do, then get a graphite rod designed for casting longer distances.

Of course, if you feel you need to spend that much on a glass rod, it’s your money!

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Cabelas CGR. I’m keeping my eye out for another sale. I have an old, super-cheap fiberglass Shakespeare that is fun to throw, but the guides suck and it doesn’t shoot line well at all.

The Prime looks really cool too, but the 8wt is a noodle (very unscientific observation – just based on internet reviews and one good ole shake test in the store by yours truly).

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak

Youngjax - I fish an Epic 888 almost exclusively, it’s my very favorite 8wt, but you’re asking about a 7wt.

I also fish a Lowcountry Flats Glass built here in Charleston by Marty Romero, it’s also an 8wt, and is a blast to fish with. He’s just built a prototype 6/7wt based on the same blank geometry as the 8wt that I have. It’s bound to be a killer rod as Marty does fine, fine work.

A long long slow walk in the spartina gives you time to think big thoughts and put your mind back into order.

• Flatscaster