Fiddler Crabs are out of control!

Is anybody else seeing an unusually large invasion this year? I’ve lived on the marsh for 12 years in Belle Hall Plantation in Mt. P and I’ve never seen this many in my yard and under the house in my garage. I really don’t mind, just curious if others have noticed an increase in the numbers.

that problem will go away if you start looking for sheep bait:smiley:

George McDonald
US Navy Seabees,Retired,
MAD, Charleston Chapter
[http://www.militaryappreciationday.org

When you see “Old Glory” waving in the breeze, know that it is the dying breaths of our fallen hero’s that makes it wave.
author unknown

quote:
Originally posted by Dragonslayer

Is anybody else seeing an unusually large invasion this year? I’ve lived on the marsh for 12 years in Belle Hall Plantation in Mt. P and I’ve never seen this many in my yard and under the house in my garage. I really don’t mind, just curious if others have noticed an increase in the numbers.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
George Orwell

Same thing in Longpoint and at the County park

After being released, a lot of fish die, but a lot of them live also.

I’ve actually noticed it on James Island. I’m not far from the marsh and have a little tidal creek/ditch in my backyard. I’ve seen them a couple of times in my workshop and it’s probably 150 ft from the closest water source. I always think it’s cool. Way cooler than seeing a 3 in. palmetto bug. Reminds me of where I live and how dang fortunate I am.

I was in Costa Rica once during the land crab migration. That was an eerily awesome experience.

Narcosis

chinaback fiddlers or the solid black ones? we’ve always called them wharf crabs…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

What you are observing are Squareback marsh crabs. Habitat is high marsh and vegetated upland border they are good climbers. As sea level rises they will get closer to your house and more numerous. People who live downtown have reported then on the 9 floor of their condos

Yup, hundreds of the black ones. Was floating around the pool after a couple of cocktails the other day and one of them leapt of the tile on to me, scared the crap out of me.

I’m not a Dr, those are my initials and I cant edit my user name. Please do not contact me regarding medical issues :slight_smile:

There are hundreds of them all over my back yard along the river. Makes me feel like Godzilla as they scramble for their lives while I’m walking to the dock.

My Chickens have been having a field day with them.

Sabalo 21 150 Yamaha

Key West Stealth 150 V-max (SOLD)

I’m just glad to know I’m not crazy. Sure seemed like more than I’ve had in prior years!

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
George Orwell

So do sheepies eat these guys? Or do they prefer the true fiddler crabs?

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
DF90 Suzuki

quote:
Originally posted by seasick11

There are hundreds of them all over my back yard along the river. Makes me feel like Godzilla as they scramble for their lives while I’m walking to the dock.

That’s classic. Do you raise your arms and make the “roar” noise as you walk?:smiley:

have you conducted a symphony with them? Walk out among then and stand still and they will all watch you. Raise both arms like a maestro beginning a symphony and the crabs will do the same. LoL- it makes me smile every time I do it.