finding a rolex

A good friend told me today that he lost a submariner off his boat dock last year in Saluda Lake in the upstate.We are talking 9 feet with a silty/muddy bottom.He knows its in a 6x6ft spot.Any ideas? Is there such a thing as underwater metal detecting?

Big magnet on a fishing rod!

quote:
Is there such a thing as underwater metal detecting?

Absolutely! Many treasure hunters use them. But somebody with a dive tank could probably find it without one.

I doubt a magnet would work for a Rolex.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

9 feet? Snorkel??? :smiley:

I think a few guys in the Charleston area own some U\W detectors. Maybe you can borrow one. Send a PM to charlestondiving. He’s done a bit of treasure hunting before and either might have one or know someone who does.

When I was a young guy I dropped my father’s keys into the drink at the boat landing in a similar circumstance. I dove down 20 or 30 times couldn’t find em. He was a prison guard and had some important keys on there. Not getting them wasn’t an option. One of his buddies that dove met me later that evening and found them in less than 5 minutes with diving gear. 12 years later and I don’t take the keys out of my pocket at the landing until my feet hit pavement

18ft Polar CC 115 Yam.

“Pamplona is no place to bring your wife” Earnest Hemmingway

Might be better off calling a boat bottom cleaner to see if he can find it if it’s that shallow. Way cheaper than buying a new Rolex

Maybe he had it insured:wink:

Last year??? WTF? That sum***** is toast. “Waterproof” only lasts for so long…

When I want you to have an opinion, I’ll give it to you…

Rolexs, are not magnetic.

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

But the bands, might be:wink:

That’s why I wear a Casio.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

quote:
Originally posted by Warbler

Last year??? WTF? That sum***** is toast. “Waterproof” only lasts for so long…

When I want you to have an opinion, I’ll give it to you…

We are talking 9’ so no pressure, really. Unless the gaskets were shot, I bet all it will take is a little cleaning and winding up to get it operating again.

And why would someone let it sit on bottom in 9’ of water for a year? Doesn’t make much sense to me…

quote:
Originally posted by Easy

But the bands, might be:wink:

The bands are either high grade stainless or gold…unless he bought the Rolex from a Hadji shop in Afghanistan…forget the magnet and get an underwater metal detector.

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

With all of the dredging lately, it’s going to be tough.

…Politicians aren’t the “Oldest Profession”, but the results are still the same.

When they come for my guns and ammo. I plan on giving them the ammo. first!

Rolex Submariners have a stainless case and bracelet and if the stem was screwed in the sealed position it will last for years.