Fireworks by Boat in Charleston Harbor...?

Anyone been foolish enough to try this in the harbor for the Yorktown fireworks?

Can you anchor around Castle Pinckney near the grass?

Anybody know what the allowed anchorages will be?

I’ve always wanted to try this once. I saw the fireworks off of Marathon Florida many years ago and the boat folks were a spectacular show…besides, I need a few more beer stories to tell to my friends. :wink:

I mean…how bad could this be in Charleston. On a Monday night. In Shem Creek…

“I am constantly amazed at the stupidity of the general public.”
~my dad

Equipment:
190cc Sea Pro w/130 Johnson
1- 21 boy that won’t move out)
1 - 17 year old (fishing maniac)
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Lol, don’t do it.

May all your favorite bands stay together…

Yeah Claim! Put in at Shem Creek! What could be the down side:question: Real close, to the fire works:wink:

Where is y’alls sense of adventure? Don’t tell me you’ve never poked a snake before…just to hear him rattle.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

quote:
Originally posted by claim

Anyone been foolish enough to try this in the harbor for the Yorktown fireworks?

Yes, trust me, you don’t want to deal with the drunkards. The only way to do it is if you can put the boat at a private dock and retrieve it the following day.

Can you anchor around Castle Pinckney near the grass?

Yes, that’s what we did and the fireworks were great. It’s afterwards that the problems arise.

Anybody know what the allowed anchorages will be?

I’ve always wanted to try this once. I saw the fireworks off of Marathon Florida many years ago and the boat folks were a spectacular show…besides, I need a few more beer stories to tell to my friends. :wink:
I mean…how bad could this be in Charleston. On a Monday night. In Shem Creek…

The people that are out at night on July 4th don’t know how to operate boats at slow speeds. A majority of the people heading back to the public ramps are drunk or at the least have been drinking and are traveling at a brutal 12mph putting up the largest wake possible. Dealing with that in anything less than a deep vee boat can be tricky if not dangerous.

After three first fights and a drunk putting his boat on the wrong trailer I swore it off forever. I’m leaving your dad’s quote in because it’s appropriate here… Good luck if you go. :smiley:

~my dad

I figured it wold be crazy at the ramp. I sorta figured on waiting a bit before leaving anchorage to let the worst get a head start, but then…there’d be the risk of getting run over going by Crab Bank by a drunk blaring some hip hop noise.

Hadn’t figured on the giant wakes of a 100 boats.

You sure this isn’t a fun thing to do?

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Find a private dock and it’s worth it.

You couldn’t pay me to do Shem Creek. We’ve done Remleys, Wappoo, and Leeds. All horrible. The only year we enjoyed it was when we left the boat at a family members dock and retrieved it the next day.

quote:

Where is y’alls sense of adventure? Don’t tell me you’ve never poked a snake before…just to hear him rattle.

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Dude, you are crazy!! I ain’t never ever ever poked at a rattler! Killed quit a few, but never once poked at a live one!! Some things you just don’t do!! :smiley:

I’d tell you to come to the house and we could shoot some tanerite, but the wife has banned me for life for ever doing it again after a 10lb batch. heck with fireworks, that’s some cool stuff! Brings neighbors from miles around to see what’s going on.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Find a private dock and it’s worth it.

You couldn’t pay me to do Shem Creek. We’ve done Remleys, Wappoo, and Leeds. All horrible. The only year we enjoyed it was when we left the boat at a family members dock and retrieved it the next day.

All my rich dock owning friends keep it quiet about owning docks. So I’m outta luck there. :smiley:

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I’ve never done Charleston Harbor on the 4th, but I’ve done downtown Savannah on the Savannah River twice. It was crazy dangerous with hundreds of boats driven by drunks going everywhere in a confined space in the dark. Most of them fools. The first time I did it was with wife and friends, we thought it would be fun. The fireworks were great, but the boat traffic was nuts. We said never again, but never say never. A few years later a couple hired us for a charter to take them to River Street on the 4th and at the time we needed the money bad enough to do it. We did it to make the house payment, but not for fun. Us charter boat captains make way too much money I’ve heard.

Now I don’t need to, and just hope for never again, and it won’t be voluntary if it does. But I’ve learned to never say never:smiley:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Dude, you are crazy!! I ain’t never ever ever poked at a rattler! Killed quit a few, but never once poked at a live one!! Some things you just don’t do!! :smiley:

I’d tell you to come to the house and we could shoot some tanerite, but the wife has banned me for life for ever doing it again after a 10lb batch. heck with fireworks, that’s some cool stuff! Brings neighbors from miles around to see what’s going on.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

I have poked a rattlesnake just to hear him rattle. He was on the road, I stopped and found a stick and started poking the rattler. I mean, come on… he was supposed to rattle at me.

Did he?

Heck no. He just curled up into a ball to hide is triangular fist size head.

Frustrated he wasn’t rattling at me, I started pushing him a little bit.

Nothing.

Finally I started swatting at him with this stick. Not hard enough to hurt him…just enough to make him mad.

I learned something that day. Rattlesnakes is fast. I don’t mean strike fast (I was more than 3 of his body lengths away), but I mean

quote:
I learned something that day. Rattlesnakes is fast. I don't mean strike fast (I was more than 3 of his body lengths away), but I mean they can run fast. I mean really, really fast.

They are sure enough fast, much faster than me! My dogs cornered a big Indigo snake last week. I didn’t want them to kill it so I called them back and went to pick it up to relocate it. That scoundrel bit me twice before I could get a good grip behind it’s head. It had an impressive set of teeth too! Still got the wounds, but put the snake in the back of the truck and took it down the road a ways. Catch and release:smiley:

Given the opportunity, rattlesnakes will generally hide or retreat. I like to poke them and hear them rattle too. As long as I see them first. Not that it’s really a rattle, more like a bzzzzz or a hmmmmm, like a stirred up bee hive. I kill them in our yard because of having dogs, but anywhere else I find them I let them be.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fred67
quote:

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

I have poked a rattlesnake just to hear him rattle. He was on the road, I stopped and found a stick and started poking the rattler. I mean, come on… he was supposed to rattle at me.

Did he?

Heck no. He just curled up into a ball to hide is triangular fist size head.

Frustrated he wasn’t rattling at me, I started pushing him a little bit.

Nothing.

Finally I started swatting at him with this stick. Not hard enough to hurt him…just

Biggest Rattler I ever killed was just South of Miami FL! Saw him crossing the Driveway Rd. to a Hawk Missile site! I crimped him in the middle at about 60 MPH! He squirmed a lot, until I got his head pinned under a tire! 13 rattles!

Canebreak rattlers seldom rattle - they would rather leave the area. don’t try that with a cotton mouth or a eastern diamond back .

Where’s the report?!!?!

quote:
Originally posted by 23Sailfish

Where’s the report?!!?!

You talked me out of it. Looks like it was a good call too. There was that thunderstorm that rolled across the harbor late in the evening and then the wind picked up after 8pm.

We tried to watch the fireworks show from the Yorktown.org website - they were going to have a live feed including 2 drones flying in the show - apparently something went fubar…they only had one guy with a hand held camera that turned out to be the worse cameraman ever. They never did get the live drone feed to show.

Then my son’s tried to burn down the neighborhood with their own fireworks.

Maybe next year I’ll go out there.:smiley:

~my dad

Equipment:
1 - wife (The Warden)

ECFC

Those drones were pretty annoying. Flying right in the view with lights on.

I figured something was wrong because they stalled the show.
Parking lot lights went out, then nothing happened for a while.
Then they projected a show on the side of the ship. Which we couldn’t hear and didn’t seem to make any sense.
When that finished everyone cheered (because it was over). There was another long delay, then the fireworks started.