First approach to gas gauge isssue

New to me boat’s gas gauge is stuck- surprise surprise. Boat is a 2010 Keywest. I’ve used it 5 times and it’s been very consistent and precise with the gas station pumps. Last time I went out I burned 9 gallons and it didn’t move off full. (19 gallon tank). What is the first thing I should troubleshoot? I’m heading out again tom and will try to hit some waves to see if it is the sender stuck. Any help is appreciated- thanks!

17’ Mako //90hp Mercury
16’ Alumacraft // 20hp Yamaha
14’ War Eagle // 9.8hp Tohatsu

A couple of years ago mine was reading half full when I ran out of at Alligator reef. My issued turned out to be the sending unit. I had the type that had a gauge on top of the sending unit as well as the one on the console. I couldn’t find an identical replacement so I went with a Wema unit. Working fine now. Check all of your connections first and go from there…that’s what I did.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Check connections. The ground connection on the sending unit usually gets corroded.

Regards

Cut the 2 wires at the sender. The gauge should show empty. Touch them together, now the gauge should show full. That will tell you the gauge and wires are ok and the sender needs replacing… that’s where I would start.

Fishing Nerd

“skilled labor isn’t cheap, cheap labor isn’t skilled”

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Cut the 2 wires at the sender. The gauge should show empty. Touch them together, now the gauge should show full. That will tell you the gauge and wires are ok and the sender needs replacing… that’s where I would start.

Fishing Nerd

that's what we would do

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.bombislandboats.com
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Update: slammed it as hard as I could today on some boat wakes and after about the 3rd try it came unstuck. Showing half a tank which should be close to correct based on my guesstimating where I ran. Will top if off Friday before I head out and check the accuracy. Thanks for all the help!

17’ Mako //90hp Mercury
16’ Alumacraft // 20hp Yamaha
14’ War Eagle // 9.8hp Tohatsu
17’ Key West // 90hp Yamaha

Man, replace that sender! They aren’t expensive or difficult and will save you a lot of guessing and wondering… lol

Fishing Nerd

quote:
Originally posted by StumpNocker

Fishing Nerd

Be careful with this. If you get the opposite results, your gauge may still be working correctly. Most of the ones I’ve worked on read full at 90 ohms of resistance (unplugged) and empty at 0 ohms (shorted together).

If it’s easier to get to the gauge, you can do the same check there. You should 4 wires: 12v from the ignition or battery, 12v for lights, a ground, and the wire from the tank sender.

Scott
Summerville, SC
1977 23’ Mako CC

MUG
THE REASON WE SUGGEST TESTING AT TEH SENDING UNIT, IS ITS NOT UNCOMMON TO HAVE CORROSION IN THE WIRING CAUSING EXCESSIVE RESSISTANCE, MAKING THE GAUGE READ WRONG.

www.teamcharlestonmarine.com
www.bombislandboats.com
IF I RESPOND IN ALL CAPS, ITS NOT ON PURPOSE, AND I AM NOT YELLING

Chris,

Agreed. Just trying to point out that it’s likely that a open sender can make a gauge read full OR empty, depending on the gauge.

Scott
Summerville, SC
1977 23’ Mako CC