First kayak

Hello,

My family and I moved to the area back in Sept and I am dying to get into kayak fishing. I have been looking and I have narrowed down to 3, 13 ft Hobie Quest, Tarpon 120 and Old Town Predator, I think. However I would appreciate some insight from you guys. What are the most important factors to consider? Are there any other models I should think about? Does anyone have any experience with the three that I mentioned, Good or bad?

Thanks in advance.

I don’t have any experience with the three you mentioned but I really liked my Ride 135 as it was stable enough for a big clumsy guy like myself and was a great fishing platform. I sold it to fund a boat build and wish I still had it. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Good to know as I am a big clumsy guy myself, My coworker has a ride 135, he seems to like it. Thank you.

No experience with any of those, I’m a satisfied 135 owner.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

The Hobie Quest 13 is basically a Revolution 13 minus the pedal drive, and is a very nice paddling kayak. The Tarpon and Predator are nice rigs too.

Are you looking for a kayak that is easy to stand in, or just planning on doing mostly fishing from a seated position?

Lowcountry Kayak Anglers - http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com

http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

Welcome…you will enjoy kayak fishing in the area.
I’ve had a Hobie Quest for about 10 years now and love it. Paddles easily and has good usable storage.
It is light enough (about 60 lbs) for me to put on the roof of an SUV. It has held up well, with fairly heavy use.
Newer ones look to have had a rear hatch added which is a plus.
If the hull design has not changed,however, it is not meant for standing. Experience has taught me you are asking for a bath if you do.
Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

I have a 120 and it is a pretty solid little boat, my only dislike that it is not super stable to try and stand up in. It tracks super fast and I can get to and from the dock to the fishing spots pretty quick because of it. I have not had the experience with the pedal drive systems, but I feel like it would make life a lot easier. Good Luck in your decision making process!

I am looking for something that I can stand and sight fish from time to time, so maybe the tarpon and the Quest are out. Im 6’5 so stability is a must. Can you easily stand in a ride 135? Thanks for all the input, its extremely helpful.

quote:
Originally posted by elgeebee

The Hobie Quest 13 is basically a Revolution 13 minus the pedal drive, and is a very nice paddling kayak. The Tarpon and Predator are nice rigs too.

Are you looking for a kayak that is easy to stand in, or just planning on doing mostly fishing from a seated position?

Lowcountry Kayak Anglers - http://www.lowcountrykayakanglers.com

http://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcountrykayakanglers/

I am 5’10" and find standing up pretty easy. At your height I am not sure standing in any yak is “easy” but it is very stable. I have thrown a small cast net off of mine as well but you have to be very aware of balance and tipping points. Go see DolphinD at Timeout in Mt. P, he will let you test drive.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

MaxsPal is right - you will enjoy yak fishing in the LC. I fish in Beaufort, so not sure about CHS guides. The local yak fishing guide down here uses Hobies and I think Tarpons for his customers. Given that all the boats will have their own plus and minus features, I would try to hook up with a local guide and actually try them out first. I’ve only fished in the Hobie and liked it, but my own yak is a low country tricked out recreational yak - I like the speed and lighter weight.

Enjoy, once you get pulled through the grass by an “over the slot” red you will become obsessed!

Towee RiverMaster/20 hp

Riot Edge Yak Lowcountry Modified

If standing is important go with the Ride. Check out some local shops and see if they offer a deal where you can rent different models and then take the rental cost off of your final decision. I can stand in my Tarpon 120 easily if I have my stake out pole through the scupper otherwise it’s very tippy.

“Everyone should believe in something; I believe I’ll go fishing.” Henry David Thoreau

Nervous Mullet
1986 Boston Whaler 15 Sport
2000 70 Yamama

Mud Minnow
Wilderness System Tarpon 120

…“stand in my Tarpon 120 easily if I have my stake out pole through the scupper”

Great idea…gotta try it !

Thank you everyone for your input, it was very helpful. After a lot of research , consideration and renting various boats I settled ion a 14ft native slayer… I have already outfitted with anchor trolley, yak attack push pole and mount. I’m sure there is more to come as I am already addicted. I can’t wait to hit the water and go after some of these schooling reds.

Thanks again.