First Time Boating in Charleston

Long time reader and only posted a few times. I have some time off work coming up between Christmas and New Years and I was thinking about taking my Hewes Light Tackle out for some fly fishing. I will be in Lexington SC and driving down for the day and wanted to get some recommendations for where I should put in at. I really have no clue what I’m doing so any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks

I hope your good at fly fishing and patient. The bites about to really slow down. Your options in my opinion are reds on the flats or trout in the channels, or you could catch some sheeps. But as far as sight fishing goes pretty much just the reds. In January you can see large schools of reds but they don’t like to move much. If your lucky you might catch them in the final faze before they school up and shutdown. You will likely have to really work hard to be successful, unless someone gives you some really good info.

Thanks for the reply. I was planning on targeting reds so who knows may get lucky. Which tide should I target trying to fish?

If you want to sight cast to redfish, you’ll have more luck at the lower tides, when the water is out of the grass. Look around/along oyster banks for fish pushing wakes.

1994 Hewes Redfisher 18, 2004 Yamaha 150 VMAX
Malibu X-Factor Kayak