First Time for Everything - SKUNKED

Ran out yesterday morning in a good ocean aboard the Reel Boss - 21 Contender. Lines in about 7:30 around the EB, nothing but scattered weed everywhere, so we pulled up and ran to 800’ of water to some good weed that was trying to form up. Saw lots of fish under the mats, couldn’t get anything to eat. 9:00 first knockdown, hooked up and pulled off instantly. Pulled line in to see a failed crimp…ugh. Trolled in for a while, pulled up and ran back to EB and didn’t do a (**() thing. Then we noticed the lack of bottom reading on the Lowrance…not sure what happened but we lost depth for the rest of the day.

That was the extent of it, not one more knockdown. Not sure what was wrong, but we threw everything at them, and boats around us were catching fish…guess we didn’t have on enough Columbia gear or something, hell, maybe it was the white braid we were pulling ;), but that was a first for me in 25 years I’ve never been on a boat and gotten skunked.

On vacation next week and staying on Edisto…hope we get a weather window.

Was that you I heard on the radio around 1-2pm talking about never been skunked before but always time for a first? We had fish hit from EB-380 in every depth from 250-1500’. Only half came on any sort of formidable weeds.

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

2016 Sea Hunt 25 Gamefish twin Yamaha 150’s “Wet Dream”

1994 Ken Craft 175CC 1998 Yamaha 115 “Dream Machine”

quote:
Originally posted by FLORIDA_BOY2

Was that you I heard on the radio around 1-2pm talking about never been skunked before but always time for a first? We had fish hit from EB-380 in every depth from 250-1500’. Only half came on any sort of formidable weeds.

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

Probably so. Heard your name and the boat name a couple of times.

That’s what makes this so hard…everyone caught fish that we spoke to.

Wadmalaw native
16’ Bentz-Craft Flats Boat

what colors were you using?

If I’m posting, its because I’m sitting here at work, dreaming about fishing.

quote:
That's what makes this so hard...everyone caught fish that we spoke to.

Wadmalaw native

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Lead, not many people caught lots of fish. Most of the chatter was about how slack it was compared to Wednesday. I heard lots of boats with two, three or four fish. I thought we did bad with only 7, but after that talk I felt much better. Only a few were in the double digits. Get after them next time!

Pioneer 222 Sportfish
Yamaha 250

We caught one monday when the fish are supposedly here and we caught six a few weeks ago before they arrived. Go figure.

We only got 2, and pulled the hook on 1 other stud. Slowwww day shagging grass. Frustrating lol

“mr keys”

leadenwahboy, How were you rigged? Outriggers? Snap swivels? Leader type/size? lures/baits used? Teasers?

You may already do this but as added security I take a lighter to the tag end of my leader and bulb it out before I crimp. That way if you do manage to under-crimp or have a crimp fail, it makes it a little bit harder for the leader to pull through the crimp.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.

• More Maxims of Mark, Johnson, 1927

31’ Contender
“Touche”
250 HPDIs

never been skunked before?

it happens…to the best of us. don’t get too beat up about it.

One weird thing that happened to me yesterday was that all of my knockdowns happened going either straight in or straight out. Not one going up and down.

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:
Originally posted by FLORIDA_BOY2

Mike Martinez

“Team Hookers Dream”

Probably so. Heard your name and the boat name a couple of times.

That’s what makes this so hard…everyone caught fish that we spoke to.

Wadmalaw native

Alright, jokes over. I did it. I snuck in the garage the night before and swapped your hooks for the rubber ones…gotcha!!!

leadenwahboy you had it comin’

quote:
Originally posted by PeaPod

leadenwahboy you had it comin’

Care to elaborate?

Wadmalaw native

you deserved the skunk

i’m yankin your chain.

quote:

you deserved the skunk

i’m yankin your chain.

Umm…why? Nevermind…

Wadmalaw native

We’ve posted a skunk before. Its tough to do.

Good on you for having the honesty and ego to handle it.

We had a slow day too … stayed well inshore (200 feet) of the (now apparent) action with all the scattered weeds.

Went 2/3 and lost the big bull of course. We did pull 2 we saw out from under a Leatherback which was really cool.

Couldn’t get those footballs busting at the ledge to eat for anything.

next time …

2005 Grady 209 Yam F200
“El Dorado”
1989 High Tide Super V-14/2004 Yam 25 2-Stroke
2016 Mi Tide 1503/Suzuki Df30
Johns Island, SC

Because we like you

quote:

Because we like you

Awe, shucks. [:I]

Wadmalaw native

quote:
Originally posted by leadenwahboy
quote:

Because we like you

Awe, shucks. [:I]

Wadmalaw native

If you guys feel the need to go on a date, I can recommend a few restaurants for you.

LOL, thought we’d just come to your house, sit on the dock, and let you serve us?

Wadmalaw native