first time scuba

Heading to Aqaba, Jordan on the Red Sea tomorrow. I am considering one of those resort courses (I think they are called) so I can try scuba diving. I’ve always just snorkeled in the past, but I have always wanted to try scuba. Have any of you done a resort course before? How was it?

If you’re lucky enough to be fishing, you’re lucky enough.

I think a “resort” scuba course is going to vary a great deal depending upon the resort. Most involve an hour or so of class time and then some brief pool work before actually going out to a dive site. I would think any sites visited would be novice sites, not too deep, light currents, etc…

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”.

from my experience, resort courses are there for one thing, to get you in the water quickly. with the proper supervision at the resort, nothing wrong with it.

you will probably learn enough there to do the “follow the leader” type dives with 2 scuba instructors there to help at all times. if you were going to do some diving locally on your own, i would highly recommend taking a certification course locally. these shops seem to make sure you are more proficient in your dive procedures and teach you how to respond to common problems.

I’d love to get certified “someday”…have been saying that for decades. If I can do a beginner dive with supervision that would be just fine. It would let me know if I really want to get serious about being open water certified, or if I’m OK sticking to snorkeling. We are here at the Kempinski Aqaba now. Man this water is crystal clear, and a little chilly too (70 degrees if I had to guess).

Heard the Red Sea is a beautiful place to dive. Usually a good bit of resorts will only do the pool dives and then take you out on a few beginner dives. Sometimes they may include the class which takes a few hours but its worth it. I was certified last summer and it really was worth it. While the dive location wasn’t as exotic, it really is an awesome experience to breath underwater and feeling like you are in an entirely different world.

“When men yield up the privilege of thinking, the last shadow of liberty quits the horizon.” - Thomas Paine

Well, I ended up snorkeling since this was our 10th anniversary trip and I didn’t feel right about leaving my wife behind for the day while I took a scuba course. Conditions weren’t good as the wind was howling and the water was really choppy. Snorkel kept filling up with water from the top and had to clear it every 10 seconds it seemed like. The reef was beautiful though. I think scuba would have been awesome as it was nice and calm under the surface.

If you ever get a chance to go to Aqaba or anywhere in the vicinity, GO. It is beautiful and a really cool little town. I heard one person say that it will be the next Abu Dhabi. Judging from the high-end hotels that are going up, I can believe it.