Fishin' Mission 6/12/08 Lots of Dolphin

We left Toler’s at 0500 and ran out 55NM from the rocks in 5-10kts of east wind and 1-2ft seas to a SE/NW rip we saw on Rutgers at 0430.Trolled SW between the 380 and 226 Holes and found it in 10min.Picked up 1/2dz nice dolphin including a ~35-40# bull.They were on the warm side of an 80-82deg break with a few weeds on it.Ran up on a line of weed mats and got 2 triples in 2 passes,all 5-8# slingers.We had a newbie aboard and decided to pull out the 4000 Shimanos with 8-17# GLoomis rods for some lt tackle fun.And, boy was it fun.In 1.5hrs we caught and kept/released ~80 slingers and some peanuts that moved in.Everyone was tired of it by 1200,so we stowed the lt tackle,cleaned up,ate lunch,and started trolling in with large skirts and a few med naked ballyhoo to catch another lg bull or billfish.At 1315,I am half asleep in the cockpit,with NO action in an hr when the port long rigger with a pink/white Islander with med ballyhoo goes off and the 30w is DUMPING some line.I think big wahoo til I see a blue that is tail walking 200yds astern and cutting off the way back.We put newbie,Jay Cohee,on the rod and started chasing and backing down. In an hour,she is at the boat and I touch the leader.5 sec later,the rod breaks!She had taken another 20yds of line and I had to handline her with 40# Momoi Hicatch to get her back for hook removal and a pic.This all some how worked out and she was(roughly measured)92-94" fork length from the lower jaw.Looked to be around 275# to me.Lot’s of fun and great day.Thanks to Stocky for having us aboard,expertly manuevering the boat,and pushing your employee in for his rookie swim.We ran in at full cruising speed in 1-2 following seas.Life was very good!Kept 41 dolphin for the second time this year.Released ~50 slingers and peanuts.Pics to come after downloading adventures on Photobucket today.

“Women should be obscene and not heard.”

Awesome

Dean with his first offshore fish.

Jay,with the blue,before he got tired.        

Right after the rod broke with my Islander "Flasher" still there.We could see it reflecting from 200yds.            

Great job congrats on an awesome Day.congrats on the blue.nice picture

Big Ron
196 CC Sea Pro
150 Verado

Capt. Eddie, Congrats to you all on good running of the boat, work in the pit, Dean’s first saltwater fish and Jay with his first billfish.

“Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.”
~ Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

What a great day! great job!

What is the Rutgers website you guys use? Have heard of it, but never been able to find it online

That sure is a pretty fish!

15" Duracraft
25HP Johnson
It gets me around…

Eddie…you’re killing me. Great report! Let me know if you guys run out of freezer space.

Give me a call this week. Wife and little one are out in IOWA. Lets catch some fish!

“When we going fishing?!”

Nice day Eddie!!!

Be there or be on the Short Bus!!

2005 236 Sailfish
225 Yamaha 4-stroke

quote:
Originally posted by OTAY

What a great day! great job!

What is the Rutgers website you guys use? Have heard of it, but never been able to find it online

Thank you and try www.marine.rutgers.edu.

quote:
Originally posted by gordosworld

Eddie…you’re killing me. Great report! Let me know if you guys run out of freezer space.

Give me a call this week. Wife and little one are out in IOWA. Lets catch some fish!

“When we going fishing?!”

Thanks Gordo,but we have a different bunch every week and they ALL want some fish.I only keep enough for a meal,a few of my ECMOW folks,and elderly neighbors.I'll call you Monday.

Absolutely a fabulous day!

how much of the rod broke?

Key West 152 with a 70 yamaha

Great job! Joe sent me pics from the last 40+ dolphin day.

Captain
Jerni-A-Gan
40’ Ocean Yachts Super Sport
Edisto Beach, SC
Call 864-982-2122 for info

Stand firm, be brave and keep the men at it.

eddie - i was reading and thought all this was going on in your bay boat!

good stuff.

congratz

Inshoreboy- 18" Will-They were smaller this trip.not all gaffers like MayDay. Hoppy-Don’t I wish!!6 or 8 is a reel good day on the Reel Blessed.It is time for it,tho.Let me know if you want some spade action on the long rod.:wink:

Good stuff.

BRAINSTORM

Nice work capt Eddie. That’s a hell of a day.

quote:
Originally posted by Carla Dee

Good stuff.

BRAINSTORM

Thanks for your Wed report,Daniel.It was what got us looking at Rutgers that am.I knew your report wasn't BS(not that any of the others are).:sunglasses: