Fishing and Eating advice

Every year I attempt to get to the lake for a week. It has never happened. So next week it looks like it will finally work out.
So I have 2 things I want to do.

1. Put my son on some fish. Striper or catfish. I know NOTHING about either. Only thing we ever do is bream fish under a cork.

2. Take the family out to eat in the boat. I have never made this happen either, so I any suggestions would be appreciated.

You ain’t drunk, till you’re Tickle drunk

23 Sea Hunt “My Last Boat V”

Where are you staying on the lake?

For dining on the lake I would recommend Liberty on the Lake. It’s a new restaurant and VERY popular so be prepared to wait. They might take reservations.
https://www.facebook.com/LibertyontheLake

As far as the fishing, if you are unfamiliar I would recommend hiring a guide for a day. Chris Simpson comes highly recommended. He is a catfish guide - http://www.fightindablues.com/
For striper fishing Chris might be able to put you on them as well but striper fishing on Murray this time of year subject to the “five and done” rule". If you’re gonna spend money on a guide a catfish trip would be the better value.

War Eagle 754 Ducks Unlimited - Yamaha 75

Thanks crabjack. I will be in Chapin

I don’t know anything about the catfishing, but I know plenty about eating and I would agree with Jack on Liberty Tap Room.

The stripers are pretty concentrated on the lower lake and relatively easy to find if you look for suspended fish in the river channel or just off the bottom off points or humps in about 80’. Your biggest issue may be keeping the bait alive depending on what, if any, type of bait tank you have.

I’ll send you a PM with my number. Give me a call and if our schedules work out while you are here you can meet me at the dam one evening next week after I get off work and we’ll try and put your son on a few stripers.

'07 198 DLX Carolina Skiff
FS90 Suzuki

Thanks for the input. As much as I would like to do a guide, I just can’t afford it.
striperskiff, Thankyou. I might just take you up on that. My son is 16 and has fished only offshore, but really wants to caught something besides a small bream. My daughter is 10 and she is starting to ask the same questions :slight_smile:
What kind of bait will I need? What about gear?

we are going up Sat. from Mt Pleasant, rented house in Chapin for the week.

fishb8; take striperskiff up on his offer if you can. you will have a super time and most likely catch plenty of fish. i am sucking up to him so that maybe he will invite me sometime. ha ha. i guess i have to stick with steelytom for now. good luck.

I have been fishing lake murray for thirty years my advice would be to pull free lines in thirty to fourty feet of water around main lake points for striped bass … this time of year is about covering water until you find some bunched up … good luck … can be tough. the lake is in transition. you may find some schooling activity on top but they will probably be small … let your bait settle under schoolers where the bigger fish will be. libertys is good food for the most part but rusty anchor at times is fantastic… good luck enjoy.