Fishing Down In July?

Is it true that the bite drops off in the hotter weather. I seemed to do well in June and the last couple of times out this month its been dead. Does the heat affect anything or is this just a myth.

All weather and atmospheric conditions affect the fish (and fishing) in one way or another but I also think not every fish is impacted the same. There are schools of active fish and schools of inactive fish no matter where you, no matter what time of year. It just depends on which school you find. I don’t think you can cover this topic with one blanket statement and say “yes, high temps and the dog days of summer adversly effects the fish and fishing.” Fact is, the dog days of summer probably have a more adverse effect in the fishermen.

Earn it everyday…

quote:
Fact is, the dog days of summer probably have a more adverse effect in the fishermen.

Exactly. Fish have to eat every day, and in the summer their metabolism is faster and they have to eat more. The trick is knowing where they are eating. Fish deep structure in hot weather.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Cracker Built Custom Boats

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

[quote]Fact is, the dog days of summer probably have a more adverse effect in the fishermen.

</font id=“quote”></blockquote id=“quote”>

Exactly. Fish have to eat every day, and in the summer their metabolism is faster and they have to eat more. The trick is knowing where they are eating. Fish deep structure in hot weather.

Capt. Larry Teuton

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

Thanks!

This is why you see a lot of guys fishing docks in the summer. Docks have, structure, shade, and the good ones have current and bait. Find one that has all those and your in for a treat. They big fish will hangout under the floating dock or gangplank it seems, because that’s where its deepest and cooler. And they can make a quick swim up along the pilings to eat bait on the bank. And a lot of other size and species if fish will hangout around the pilings. I know that fishing docks may not be as fun as other types of fishing. But pulling big overslot drag peeling reds out from structure is a blast!

14’ Skiff-“Redfish Reaper”

quote:
structure, shade, ,,,, current and bait.

Yakman knows what he’s talking about :wink:

Capt. Larry Teuton