Fishing Log/Journal

Now that the weather is starting to turn(at least it looked that way until this weekend) I’m getting anxious to get out on the water again. Its got me thinking about some topics that don’t get discussed too often.

I’m curious as to how (or if) y’all keep track of your fishing results. Inshore, offshore, lake fishing, you name it.

How do you keep it? ie Journal, Pictures with captions, Excel spreadsheet

What do you keep track of? ie date, location, tide, bait/lure, water temp(rising/falling), turbidity, air temp, moon phase, pressure(rising/falling) and whatever else you think mother nature finds important

I’ve been keeping my pictures in a file with a few notes about the conditions and locations but at times I don’t find it is enough, like now when I haven’t been fishing a lot the last couple months. When going to a new area I do take good notes in a leather journal of sand bars, dangers, good looking spots and fish caught but after I’ve got it mapped, the details fall off. This year I’m going to keep a better log and see how much it helps next year.

Now… send me that excel spreadsheet of your exact details over the last 10 years :sunglasses:

Thoughts?

excel spreadsheet… been doing it for many many years

quote:
Originally posted by saltfisher

Makes sense. Easiest and most organized when searching with certain criteria.

quote:
Originally posted by saltfisher

Same here…have a small notebook while fishing then transcribe everything to the spreadsheet.

“I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations,neither are you here to live up to mine” Peter Tosh - I Am That I Am

I really need to start doing this. As time goes by I find myself hunting through pictures on my phone trying to remember what they were biting when and where.

When this web sight first started out they sponsored a seminar at Hankles. One the biggest things a couple of guides present Harped on was keeping a detailed fishing log. Weather, moonphase , tide , loacation, temp, bait used , etc. I did it for a couple of years and then got lazy and seldom go. I still look back to it when I do go.

I use the easy button… Stop by Haddrell’s and ask for a Tide Log book. I’ve been doing this for years. It already has the tides, moon phases, sunrise etc. I just circle the times I fished, jot down my locations, water temp, bait/lures used, fish caught/or somedays not caught, and anything else that may be pertinent information. After a couple years of doing this, and going to new spots, it makes it nice, easy, and organized to go back and reference for your next outing.

I use the easy button… Stop by Haddrell’s and ask for a Tide Log book. I’ve been doing this for years. It already has the tides, moon phases, sunrise etc. I just circle the times I fished, jot down my locations, water temp, bait/lures used, fish caught/or somedays not caught, and anything else that may be pertinent information. After a couple years of doing this, and going to new spots, it makes it nice, easy, and organized to go back and reference for your next outing.

I kept small pocket calendars for many years. I’d write the location, water conditions, number and type of fish caught, and baits used. Now I mostly just mark waypoints on the depthfinder. Guess I’m getting lazy!

I never seem to remember to do it after I’ve gotten back, washed the boat, showered, etc. What I do however is once a month or so I will write trends in my journal. In general what was biting where and what the water temp was. It works for me.

1966 13’ Boston Whaler “Flatty”
2018 Sportsman Masters 207
www.eyestrikefishing.com #predatorsstriketheeye

I have used a sprial note book for years! Noteing ever think about each trip but some how this past fall I have misplaced it. Have to many boats and trucks and places to stay. It was a wealth of information to me and sure miss it, hope it turns up soon!

I like the excel spread sheet option. Never thought of it until now, but you could sort and filter every column just to see patterns. could also turn the spreadsheet into charts for more of a visual for a dummy like me…The key would be figuring out the important data whether it be water temp, tide, moon phase, bait, color of lure, water clarity, depth, barometer etc.

I need to start doing this. Would be much easier to find patterns.

Sam Elliott
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJapLk9rt91Jop89mxRU7eg?

This app just came out for iOS yesterday. We have been working on it for quite a while and it is finally ready for the store. This was designed and built right here in Charleston, and we feel it will greatly benefit our local anglers increase there knowledge of our fishery and become more successful while out on the water.

Check out our website for details, or click the link below and get taken right to the App Store listing. You can also search on the App Store for “fishing intelligence” to find it.

Couple of quick highlights:
Not a social media platform your data is your data, period. There is NO ability to see anyone’s data.
Automatic weather and tide data capture when logging fish
Filters to analyze your data i.e. (you can filter your data to see where you caught redfish, incoming tide, SE wind, Full moon, etc)
Real-time filters to quickly see where you’ve had success under current conditions while fishing.

App Store listing: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/fishint/id1450672532?ls=1

Free for 30 days
$1.99/month
$19.99/year

Check it out!

Cool, been looking for an app that wasn’t social. Can you export the data? Who do I talk to about a potential bug?

You cannot export the data at this point, but may be a feature in the future. You can respond to our support email to report any bugs or ask any questions.

support@fishintapp.com

Thanks for giving it a try!