Fishing Report 10/27

Okay - here goes … We always get out late (PLEASE tell me if that’s a problem) so we hit the water about 11:00ish …

We went over to #11 and fished that area … Mark a TON of fish … and I mean a TON … Had Herring & Shad … pulled boards, free lines & down rods … Circled the area at various speeds ranging from .6 - 1.2 … did the whole zig zag thing - up one side - across - and down the other and back again … dodging bass boats the entire time …

Fished that area until 4:00 … all we had was several pull downs (Striper and a Catfish by the looks of the nailed bait - presuming Catfish since the bait was “skinned” all the way from middle to tail) off the free lines and that was it …

I changed bait often - varied my speeds and direction - nothing worked …

Sent out a text to the only guy I know (Chip) and he told me to try Bear Creek … pulled up and went over there …

Mark a lot LESS fish over there … started off with boards & freelines in Y1 … couple more pull downs (Striper - presumably shorts since they would get all but the head - marks on the bait right at the gills and back) and 1 Short (19") … Sent out another text and was directed to #24 area …

Short hop over there and repeated in the same area … a few more pull downs (one presumably a Gar since it ripped the entire tail section off the bait) and snagged a few more shorts both on freelines and one of topwater (my Wife threw at the boil and we watched as the fish chased in the plug until it hit the plug right at the boat, which was really cool :stuck_out_tongue:) … by 6:30 all was dead …

All in all it was a nice day on the water … we got to practice deploying the boards and freeline spread and it was fun family fishing (My Wife and I and our 7 year old son) … nice pics … nice ride … but my Wife wants some dang fish …

Someone … ANYONE … please feel free to chime in here … #11 is LOADED and I mean LOADED with fish … what the heck do we have to do to get them to bite??

I’m thinking we’re t

Lawcrusher
Give me a call or text anytime and I will share what I know (as long as its not tournamnet week) :smiley:

Richy
803-622-2989

“My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.”

Maybe others can but I can’t tell the difference between a catfish bite and a striper bite. I’m sure they were just smaller stripers that sometimes nip at the tail rather than taking the bait head first like most stripers do.

I don’t have my club map handy so I’m not sure where you are fishing. Early tends to be better than later most of the time but you can catch them any time of the day. Sometimes they just don’t bite like you would think they would. Maybe chumming could trigger a feeding frenzy?

This time of year I like to go shallow and look for rolling fish. Most of the time you an avoid the smaller ones this way but you won’t mark a lot of fish, you are looking for them hitting the surface. Be careful as gar will do the same thing and can fool you. Pay attention to the fish coming out of the water so you don’t end up losing a whole spread of baits to the bill fish. Venture farther up the lake. Just when you think you have gone way up, go another 5-10 miles. These fish really get stacked up in the rivers and if the water stays reasonably warm for the winter, they will hold up there. Bigger fish probably prefer creeks but for numbers it’s definitely better up as we get into November. Maybe they’re just easier to find since there is not as much water for them to choose from? Anyway, good luck next time out!

Richy - I appreciate the offer and I’ll put your number in the cell phone … Expect lots of calls/texts … :smiley: :smiley:

Gar-heart - that’s funny since I was told you’re the guy in charge of handing out the MSC maps, right?? I sent you a PM with the referenced locations …

it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish now!!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke

Actually Crusher, I have the club maps. Garheart handed all that stuff over to me when he became VP and I took over as Secretary.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

At this time of year, after the turnover, the fish can be pretty much anywhere. They can and do move a bunch. So the places that were great two or three days ago might not be that good today. I’m seeing a lot of schoolers late in the evening in the elbow area, but they may move miles away from one day to the next. Most of the keepers I’ve been catching are feeding on pretty small shad, not herring. Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by Fogman

Actually Crusher, I have the club maps. Garheart handed all that stuff over to me when he became VP and I took over as Secretary.

Xpress HB-22
175 Yammy Jammer

I stand corrected … :smiley:

it’s my Wife’s fault we HAVE to fish now!!!

2005 Sea Pro 2100cc / Yamaha 150hp 4-Stroke