Flat screen tv

I have a 32" Vizio that has volume issues. I’ll be watching something and for no reason the sound will drop way down and stay that way for a couple of minutes. I first thought it was the program but it happens on different channels and shows. Any idea’s out there?

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

I was given a 60" Vizio by my father-in-law. Same issue.

Don’t watch that much TV so I haven’t even done a google search but that’s probably where I would start.

It’s pretty freaking annoying but you sort of get used to it.

Narcosis

Recently, last 5 years or so, tv prices really dropped. The manufacturers didnt drop their pricing, they cut back on parts and the speakers are what bore the brunt. It’s sorta marketing genius! You feel like you got a deal paying $700.00 for a 60" tv and still feel like you got a deal when you upgrade and buy a $350.00 sound bar.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Completely agree with OFM. I bought a Samsung a while back, and it has pretty good sound. We bought a newer/cheap TV, and the sounds was horrible! Run the sound through some external system (and mute the TV speakers) and you will be much happier.

John

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

I had the same issue with my Vizio 37". It did it off and on for about 2 years, but I just dealt with it. Haven’t had it happen in a long while so maybe it fixed itself.

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

I can deal with it because it is in the bed room. Normally set volume around 10 to 15. The problem comes in when the wife is in there and the sound drops. Then she runs it up to around 25 or thirty and 5 minutes later the sound shoots sky high. So if I hook up external speakers it may stop this problem? $300 dollar sound bar is out seeing as how I have been out of work over 2 years. Have an exyra stereo speaker sitting around so I’ll give that a try.

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

There are much cheaper sound systems too. My $20 Wal-Mart one works great.

First, Most, Biggest

I agree with on a mission ,we uprgraded our system about 8 mnths ago and ended up buying one of those 4k smart tvs.Samsung and sony are making good viewing tv’s these days but we bought the sony because samsungs screwed us on appliances with 2 out of 4 new ones being replaced within 2 yrs, total crap and their customer service is very,very,very,very bad. The thing about these new tvs is like the gentleman said the speakers in them are smaller ,the reason being is the flat screens are so thin, allot of people are now mounting tvs on the wall more and more, because they are thin and look good. The cool thing is with these tvs you not only have a tv, but if you purchase a good sound bar you also own a bang up stereo all in one, they sound killer. You got pandora on them as an app and the music system on them is great. With movies being so expensive, buying tickets and popcorn will run you 50 bucks for a family of three. Water runs 5 dollars a bottle. No more of that crap for me, we invested in a nice tv, a nice sound bar got netflix and no more taking it in the rear end and no more checking my wives purse when we walk into the movie theatre, turned out to be worth the investment for us, entertainment 24/7 without leaving the house.

A couple of years ago I got a tv on one of those black Friday sale at Wal-mart. About a month later I was watching a movie and, all I saw was the screen get smaller square by square till the picture just went black. I have never seen a picture tube go out like that. I went and got my money back, and never messed with a black friday sale again.

We bought a Sony flat screen with a Sony sound bar and wall mounted it. Couldn’t be happier. I don’t watch much TV, rather read a book or BS on the net, but my wife does. She loves it.

Only problem was when I wall mounted it, I drilled a hole in the water line to the upstairs bathroom. What my stud detector told me was a stud was actually a water pipe. That was a mess, and a b@tch to fix [:0]:face_with_head_bandage:

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Agree, TVs needed to get smaller and lighter as well, so sound suffers. Most people had full surround systems anyway when looking at big flat screens, so the sound-bar was the solution.

I recommend staying away from the bargain tvs as well. A lot of junk out there. Even Vizio is making some crap now. Its really hit or miss. They can have a phenomenal 42", then step up to the 47" or so and it goes to hell. Samsung is about the most consistent I found across the board. Just don’t buy a base level model though. 4000 or 5000 series. Stick with a 6000 or 7000. You truly get what you pay for.

“Wailord”
1979 17’ Montauk
90 Johnson

Wilderness Ride 115

It could be some kind of code in the TV. May want to look and see if there are any updates for your particular TV. If so, either connect to the WWW or get a thumb drive, download and install into your TV.

quote:
Originally posted by carolinacoot

I have a 32" Vizio that has volume issues. I’ll be watching something and for no reason the sound will drop way down and stay that way for a couple of minutes. I first thought it was the program but it happens on different channels and shows. Any idea’s out there?

16’ Bonito 65 Johnson

By any chance do you have Comcast/Xfinity? I had the same problem and thought it was the tv for the longest time. The tv is a 6 year old Vizio 42". Then when I thought about it, I realized I have my HDMI going into my stereo receiver and the tv has the speakers turned off and isn’t receiving any sound signal at all. The only signal my tv gets is the picture after it is processed through the receiver. The problem turned out to be our HD box and we had to swap it out.

Try one of the sound bars. I have one with a wireless sub woofer and two satellite speakers and love it; but my point is, you can disable the internal speaker on the set. This MAY eliminate the problem…??