Flexible Spending Account?????

My wife and I have a Flexible Medical Spending Account through our employers. We have a situation where we have money remaining in both our accounts as we over-estimated what we thought we’d spend. Our plan has a grace period until March 15, 2017 but, I am unable to get a straight answer about that.

Does that mean that we can incur allowable medical expenses up to March 15, 2017 and use 2016 contributions to pay for it

or

Does that mean we can “file” for expenses incurred during 2016 up to March 15, 2017?

I can’t get a straight answer out of our HR department or the (**() company that administers the plan.

I have come to the THT experts.

Thanks

quote:
Originally posted by DFreedom

I have come to the THT experts.

did you copy this from your post on The Hull Truth? :smiley:

sorry, I know nothing that can help answer this question…

The Morris Island Lighthouse www.savethelight.org

It depends on the wording within the plan. Most allow you to incur and submit allowable expenses, but not all.
Safer bet is get new glasses or spend it on another allowable expense prior to year end.

Boat drinks, Waitress I need 2 more boat drinks!

What’s his handle on tht, and is he in a better mood over there?

quote:
did you copy this from your post on The Hull Truth?

Yes, as a matter of fact I did. Sucks that I can’t rely on my own HR department or the company that administers my plan for a straight answer. I was hoping that I could find one here or there. We put money into it for the dreaded colonoscopy only to find in January that colonoscopies are now free under our plan. So, all that money we thought we needed for that has not been spent. Not a bad problem to have but, I don’t want to lose that money.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

“Generally” FSA funds must be spent within your program year, then they give you that grace period to file the paperwork. For example, maybe your health care plan year ends on Dec 31st, but you can file paperwork for costs incurred BEFORE Dec 31 by March 15. This gives you a chance to submit those bills that come in late.

15’ Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

My wife has one through her office and any money not used by the end of the year you lose. Use it or lose it.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

Free colonoscopy

Sounds grand

Free pair of prescription costas for Christmas!

'06 Mckee Craft
184 Marathon
DF140 Suzuki

The answer is it depends on the rules your employer has for the plan they offer. They are required to have a Plan Document and must provide it to you if you request it.

Participants can submit claims at any time during the current claim period (the plan year or period designated in the employer’s Plan Document and/or Summary Plan Description) and for a specified period after the claim period (called the “Run-Out Period”) as defined by the employer’s Summary Plan Description (SPD).

You generally must use the money in an FSA within the plan year. But your employer may offer one of 2 options:
•It can provide a “grace period” of up to 2 ½ extra months to use the money in your FSA.
•It can allow you to carry over up to $500 per year to use in the following year.

Your employer can offer either one of these options but not both. It’s not required to offer either one.

If you find it ends Dec 31 consider lasik, eye glasses, visits to doctors you may not normally see (dermatologist, orthopedic, etc.), refill prescriptions early, get a physical, get a blood test to measure D3 (definitely do this), dental work, or if your eyelids are drooping get that fixed.

If your company offers a high deductible plan you should look at it and get away from the FSA trap. I reviewed an insurance plan for a friend last week. The way the options were set up it was cheaper to go with the high deductible plan unless the person has a repeated annual history of 20+ doctor visits to different doctors.

Pioneer 197SF

DF, the bride and I have HSA accounts (different employers)that allow costs incurred up to March 31st of the following year. 2016 contributions can be used in 2017 till March 31st.

Better get with your HR folks. EDIT, just saw where you got with HR…WTH??

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Can also generally use that money to get sunglasses/rx sunglasses, otc medications and medical supplies…

First of all, ditch it next year and replace with HSA. Next, check the eligibility list and stock up on items. Get a sick first aid kit for the home and boat.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

My wife has one through her office and any money not used by the end of the year you lose. Use it or lose it.

Capt. Larry Teuton
Swamp Worshiper

use or lose, that is just messed up.

DFreeedom, use it all while you can if that’s the case. DO NOT LOSE IT!! Like skinny said… get all you can!!!

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”

quote:
Originally posted by skinneej

First of all, ditch it next year and replace with HSA. Next, check the eligibility list and stock up on items. Get a sick first aid kit for the home and boat.

Thanks Skinee, thought he was referring to an HSA already.

Weird stuff as the IRS dictates tax deductions and timeframes.

We just had this extension to March 31st added a couple years ago. used to be end of year.

Good luck!

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Thanks all. Cutting way back on contributions next year to cover some basic medical stuff.

Yeah Pea, a free colonoscopy. Ain’t that nice.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

HSA rolls over with no “use it or lose it” restrictions.

I have a HSA and that money never goes anywhere. I’m limited to how much I can contribute annually but last year I rolled over $1500 no problems.

I bet DFREE is eligible for a HSA. They give you a debit card for it; easy bro.

I heard Peepod gives free colonoscopies on the weekends at Reds after 9…

Sounds like he has an FSA though.

Scene and filed