Flood Insurance Surcharge

Got a letter in the mail today stating a $250 surcharge would be added to all non-resident, and $25 to permanent residents.

This will apply every year…gotta love it:angry:

On a side note, I just got off the phone with our insurance folks in Beaufort and I was told the flood maps are being redrawn and some that were not previously in a flood zone, will be when the new maps come out.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

Revenue generator

You should be able to keep your current flood zone rates as long as you don’t let your policy lapse, you’re basically grandfathered. But if you have a home that is not properly elevated by the most recent maps I would sell it now… No telling if the pre-firm subsidized rates will be around forever, or just phase out in a couple years.

double N

I got that too. pisses me right off.

the bigger the flood plain, the more units brought in to ‘the program’ subsidize the true high risk ones. but what do I know?

i’m sure some engineer or govt person in the NFIP would tell me how i’m wrong.

at first i wasnt too keen on my house being raised off the ground 7’

but now i sure am glad with the new maps coming out!

quote:
[i] the bigger the flood plain, the more units brought in to 'the program' subsidize the true high risk ones.

Bingo!

I was also told that the money collected was no different than SS…just another bucket to scoop from:angry:!

I don’t know if this is true, but how surprising would that be:question:

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

quote:
Originally posted by DoubleN

Got a letter in the mail today stating a $250 surcharge would be added to all non-resident, and $25 to permanent residents.

This will apply every year…gotta love it:angry:

On a side note, I just got off the phone with our insurance folks in Beaufort and I was told the flood maps are being redrawn and some that were not previously in a flood zone, will be when the new maps come out.

NN

www.joinrfa.org/

That is what happens when the Federal government gets into the insurance business.