Florida scalloping in the Big Bend

Stump, not only do I enjoy learning new things about some of my favorite food going ocean to table, I’m also a really cheap guy.

We shucked 12 gallons out on the dock ourselves over those 3 days, and only one of the days was shady thanks to some thunderboomers nearby. Never used a shop vac but might try it next time. My regular curved tip dexter Russell oyster knives worked well, a 2 gallon limit was about a pound/pint so we averaged a quart a day… and I did a lot of the finding myself so I was sleeping real hard every night. Even the Who Dat karaoke on the dock couldn’t stop me from hitting the hay early…

3 Likes

20’ Pathfinder.

We can use mine inshore and yours offshore. Let’s do it!

The Shop Vac cleaning method is the way to go, especially when you have a bunch to clean. I have a friend that lives down there that told me about it. I thought he was pulling my leg but nope, I saw a quite a few folks along the Weeki Wachee River using Shop Vacs to clean theirs.

I’ll bet that makes for a fresh smelling shop vac…haha.

When you are done, you just suck up a little bleach/water and then rinse it out. I had one of the small ones lying around so I used it. I still have it, it works fine and doesn’t stink.

Doug, I am gonna try it next time thanks!

I’ve got a list of stuff we didn’t bring enough of: buckets, mesh bags, mask defogger, sling spear, whiskey. A razor to keep the seal on the mask too, but we got around it with liberal upper lip applications of Vaseline.

We’ll be better next year and the shop vac definitely makes the list.

Sling spear made the list when I failed to put a Bubba Blade through a 16” flounder and into clean white sand because stabbing underwater felt like being a boxer trying to hit Mike Tyson first.

Next time, flatfish.

Next time.