Florida scalloping in the Big Bend

finally made it to the gulf and learned about their scalloping, been wanting to do it for years. FIL turned 70 and got impulsive, rented a place with extra beds and dragged his boat down, wife and i joined for 4 nights and returned yesterday.

wish I could’ve seen Steinhatchee before the rapid development began, it is still a cool old fishing town but it’s covered in brand new buildings, twin and triple engine CC’s from Jacksonville, etc… but the locals didn’t seem bitter about the changes. tons of $$ pumping into that place, but folks kept it clean and overall treated it way more respectfully than i’ve seen many tourists treat my home beach of Folly.

50 miles of nothing to get from Live Oak, Fl to the gulf, first the whole area was timbered, then it became cattle, corn, and bean country, now people fly down the road through that stuff to the high end development at the coast.

tons of fun to be had down there, already looking forward to bringing the kids next year! place was hopping when we got there thursday, but most rentals seemed to leave on sunday, and it was a very quiet place on monday morning when we packed out.

i’ll add more later, just wanted to start the topic so i can put some pix up as I go through them.

1 Like

@stumpknocker thanks for the advice, this cold one’s for you!

I’ve been waiting for this thread! Sounds like a great trip that I’ll do one day!

Sign me up. We should do a boys trip one day, do it up right, make some memories. That would be the perfect place

It really is fun, isn’t it. Been down a few times and have always gotten our limit.

1 Like

1 Like

Took a trip to Steinhatchie in July to scout out the area. It has definitely seen some recent development. In the planning stages now to take the boat for a guy’s week long scalloping and fishing trip next year. If you didn’t go to McDavid’s for breakfast you missed out.

Wife caught McDavids the first morning when her dad and I were figuring out the scallops, she had a great breakfast but we didn’t make it back.

Who Dat bar and grill was on our side of things, they had delicious wings that were nicely brined, fried, and sauced

Good folks down there, mixed feelings about being part of the crowd that could love it to death eventually, but nobody seemed to mind us joining in the fun for now

Striker, I got the feeling I might see some SC familiars at any moment down there, same way we all seem to see each other in Marathon, etc too. I need a CF.com sun shirt so’s y’all can find me… hey @snickers whatcha think? I’d take three mediums in white…

2 Likes

Boys trip is definitely another way I’ve wanted to do it

They catch a LOT of snappas and gags out of there too

1 Like

I like that idea! I’ll look into what it would take to order some!

2 Likes

Mark me down for one. I already have a custom one on an idea that didn’t work out, but I’d rock a new style.

I’m down for a guys trip. Let’s do it. Ill bring my boat.

I knew you were going to love it. Its a reall good time at a real cool place. I can’t believe I forgot to tell you to try the home-made icecream shop. It is incredible. Did you clean any yourself or just let the mutha shuckas do it?

Put me down for 2 mediums and 2 large, please.

CFF merch is trending @snickers :+1:

1 Like

Haha! Yep, we were at Who Dat bar almost every night, we actually stayed there at Goodtimes motel. They had good food.
I also had the smoked mullet from Skullys it was pretty darn good. I hope to see some familiar CF.com faces there.
I’m in for a shirt XXL…

Put me down for a couple o’ XX’s too!

Oh if y’all want to get up a CF.com guys trip. I am in and have a 23’ center console I will bring.
You had me at Snappas…

oh man, i like where this is going. I’m all in!

1 Like

Now for the gratuitous meat shots you’ve all been waiting for…

2 Likes