Florida Skiff Challenge

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/skiff-challenge
About the Challenge

What began as a head-to-head battle for bragging rights has evolved into a daring feat to help shine a spotlight on Florida’s water crisis by those who’ve been directly affected by it—boat manufacturers.

This year, six boat companies will put their 18-foot skiffs and best teams to the ultimate endurance test, circumnavigating the 1,300 mile Florida peninsula in nearshore waters from state line to state line.

Each five-man team includes two skiff operators and three land-based support crew. Teams are equipped with extensive safety gear and navigation aids and pre-plot their own pit stops for fuel, food, repairs and rest. Boats are powered by up to a 70-horsepower outboard motor and may carry up to 22 gallons of fuel at a time.

These teams are uniting for a common cause. It’s not just about the businesses and ecosystems that rely on clean water, but about protecting the boating, fishing, and outdoor lifestyle that we enjoy with our families.

Follow the 2022 Skiff Challenge and learn how you can help protect and restore Florida’s water quality for future generations.

Something cool to follow here in a day or two!

Really cool, thanks for posting!

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

those are some hard core boaters!! I’ve been following this for a few years. c&P “The team from Hell’s Bay Boatworks won the 2021 Florida Skiff Challenge, covering the grueling 1,300 miles in 44 hours and 4 minutes aboard their 16’ 4” Hells Bay Biscayne skiff powered by a Suzuki DF70.”

Good info on this link for it.
https://www.anglersjournal.com/people/florida-skiff-challenge

“We’re like-minded brothers, but at the same time brothers wrestle and beat each other up — but they still love each other,” Peterson says. “I like all of the competitors. They’re all good guys, and they’re doing it for the right reasons: to show grit and to show that boats in this country are well-made.

We can track their progress here!!

https://captainsforcleanwater.org/skiff-challenge/2022-map-tracker/

Go Team Key West!:+1:

They took off this morning in some less than favorable conditions!:astonished:

Fishing Nerd

“No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, just pool… nothing else.”

…well, some fishing too!

Team KW had to stop and change crew members due to back issues. Still appear not to be in last place though.

Fishing Nerd

…well, some fishing too!

The Key West boat driver had to drop out with back problems so KW is officially disqualified. But the chase crew chief took his place to keep the boat going. So I think they will be an unofficial contestant from here forward. Be interesting to see how the race organizers handle this (good opportunity for them to show some class).

Fishing Nerd

…well, some fishing too!

1 Like

Stump when you posted this. That’s the first thing that went through my mind.
That’s got to be tough on the back.

You find things offensive. I find things funny. That's why I'm happier than you.

22 life’s a day

Now there are tornado warnings for the Tampa area, they should be getting there this evening sometime… brutal…

Fishing Nerd

…well, some fishing too!

Shortly after 10pm, Mike Marlowe posted on the FB Skiff Challenge Group that team Key West had made the hard decision to load the boat on the trailer. Sea conditions. Sorry to see this but team safety comes first. Best wishes for the remaining four teams. (Blackfin also out; struck something submerged in the run to Apalachicola that caused severe glass damage and took out the through hull transducer.)

Still 4 boats left… go SeaPro I guess…lol

Fishing Nerd

…well, some fishing too!

C/p

It was an amazing finish. The trackers were not working so when the first boat came to the dock with lights blaring the folks at the dock didn’t know who it was until they got close enough to actually see faces in the boat. The two Peterson brothers from Hell’s Bay. Their mom was on the dock anxiously awaiting their arrival. We lit up the dock with flares and spotlights from the Key West Boat. Mike, Steph, and I were on the dock along with several other Key West Boats fans to welcome and congratulate them on an amazing win under conditions no man should have endured. Imagine the emotion for these two guys. Dad finally turned over the reigns to his Challenge, and their first time together they won it in a finish so close it boggles the mind considering they ran 1300 miles.

Hot on their trail was 7 time veteran Heath Daughtry and his co captain Jason Joules. Both huge men giving up a tremendous weight advantage to the Hell’s Bay team. Team Yellowfin did an amazing job and held their heads high in their accomplishment. Heath is an imposing figure of a man standing 6’6" with a shaved head and killer beard. In last year’s boat if he stood up while running the boat slowed 3mph. At 48 he’s still in impressive physical condition, and both his mom and dad were on the dock to welcome him home. Good stuff.

Mike has become buds with the team members from all of the teams over these last few years and welcomed them all to the dock. I looked at the tracker and saw that the other two teams were substantially behind the first two and crashed around midnight. I need to drive the chase truck and the Key West entry home. The little boat as Mike affectionately calls it performed flawlessly. Mike Cox to his credit volunteered to go on by himself if need be, and that guy probably could have made it.

The media folks interviewed Mike Marlowe at the dock giving him well deserved credit for his efforts through the years. He’ll be fine I think, but maybe the Peterson brothers showed this event

This is a screenshot of a story told by a guy on a billiards forum where we have been discussing the Challenge. This is one of many reasons i enjoy Forums over facebook. Never have I been told a cool story on topic by someone like this in a facebook post or group. I know the fb has its place, I just don’t belong there but every so often lol:+1:

Fishing Nerd

…well, some fishing too!