Flounder at the Jetties

Anyone catching any flounder out at the Jetties? Coming down to fish for sheepshead and was wondering about flounder.

Badbob

BadBob

If you ain’t the lead dog then the scenery never changes

yep

You don’t here about a lot of flounder there but they are there and if you fish the jetties area fort sumter, sullivans rocks are good structure to find flounder around. There are also several drop offs and underwater structure to fish around jetties like the grillage, dynamite hole and a few wrecks. Flounder is a tricky fish to figure out. I use to think they only staged on the low side of a plateau/ drop off but I have figured out they will also stay on the high side waiting for bait to wash over. Some areas the fish are always there but only feed actively during a specific tide and other areas the fish switch sides with the tide. Most people also don’t know you can chum for flounder. If your fishing a area with a lot of flounder you can use the current to chum for flounder and liven them up to get them feeding actively. Flounder are primarily ambush hunters but they also drift with the tide to move to better ambush points and when actively feeding they move much more aggressively. Because they will position themselves downstream you anchor upstream and drift you lines back and chum by cutting small pieces of your bait and letting them drift to your target area where your bait should be. Large flounders like mid 20’s prefer a large bait, though I have only caught a few large flounder they have all come on large bait. I would use live finger mullet or mud minnows or gulp mullet(white, yellow, chartreuse) on a bucktail or jig head or live bait hook Carolina rigged, with the jigs and bucktails I use a double rig so one bottom bounces and the other swims like a ft off the bottom. I cut the tails off to add more scent erratic movement and lesson the escaping ability. Your chum should be much smaller than your bait, like the size of the first digit of a finger.

That’s a dang good post right there. Thanks for the knowledge.

Great post 40inchreds. A lot of good info.

Thanks 40inchreds. Great info. I will be down Friday and Saturday fishing the jetties so I will give it a try

Badbob

BadBob

If you ain’t the lead dog then the scenery never changes