Flushing Tohatsu outboard

Anybody running a Tohatsu outboard? I just bought one (20 HP) online and installed it. The owners manual leaves a bit to be desired in terms of instructions on flushing it after saltwater use. It talks about putting tape over some inlets. I know I can use muffs, but does anyone out there do it another way? I’d like to have a quieter way if there is one. It doesn’t have a flushing attachment like my Yamaha. Thanks.

I have a 25hp. I do not do the tape either. I just use the muffs after each trip out. If you pass by a boat ramp on fresh water on the way home you can back into it & flush that way.
You could try calling a dealer to see if there is a flush kit you can install like the Yamahas have.
Let me know what they say, may get one if they make one.

Called the dealer. He just said read the manual or use the muffs.

Get a heavy plastic trash can, just big enough to fit the foot of the motor into, fill above the intake level with the hose and let it run. It covers the exhaust (for noise) and allows for better water intake than muffs. Also, I’m sure it’s a minimal difference, but I make sure the pee stream doesn’t recirculate into the container…to eliminate salt.

I have the same motor, trim it down into a trash can or something that will hold water or get some muffs that are tight and secure them over the intake holes, they work its tuff tho

2016 Skimmer Skiff 16’ 20hp Tohati 4 stroke

I have been running a 18hp since 2005 in saltwater its whole life. Flush it with ear muffs religiously. Never had a issue. Hope your 20hp treats you as good as my work horse treats me.

Thanks oops_lost. I figured if the rest of the world outside the U.S. runs Tohatsus, they must be pretty good engines. We in the U.S. take care of our outboards way better than most I’ve seen!

quote:
Originally posted by Erdman

Get a heavy plastic trash can, just big enough to fit the foot of the motor into, fill above the intake level with the hose and let it run. It covers the exhaust (for noise) and allows for better water intake than muffs. Also, I’m sure it’s a minimal difference, but I make sure the pee stream doesn’t recirculate into the container…to eliminate salt.

If you do this make sure not to put it in gear. :clown_face: that makes a mess.

“If Bruce Jenner can keep his wiener and be called a woman, I can keep my firearms and be considered disarmed.”