fly line - how old is to old?

Been fly fishing for 15 yrs or so. Have some fly lines on reels that have hardly been used. Anyone have any info on how long the stuff lasts before it starts to degrade or show other issues?

I’ve got some that is easily 7 years old and still use it just fine, but I store it indoors out of the sun and thoroughly clean it usually once a year.

Scientific Angler sells a kit that includes a really fine sandpaper type thing plus a lubricant. Sandpaper is to clean the grimy crap that you can see usually towards the front of the fly line, like you’ll pick up from an algae pond or something similar. Then lubricate it afterwards.

You’ll be able to feel the line for smoothness. Smooth line will shoot out easily. The more grime and dirt you have on that line, the more friction will slow down your fly line leaving your rod.

I’ve heard old guys say they used WD40, but I never tried that.

As long as you’re happy with how the line performs on the cast, I wouldn’t change it out.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/scientific-anglers-fly-line-cleaner?hvarAID=shopping_googleproductextensions&ds_e=GOOGLE&ds_c=Shop|BPS|LowPerformers|Fishing&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhpCYrJyv9wIVYA6tBh2nnwAPEAQYASABEgLGxPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

Pulled an old setup down and cleaned the line with warm water and a tiny bit of Dawn dish soap. Then, ran it back and forth through a paper towel with some SA fly line treatment/lube stuff.

When I first started, I was sure the line had a permanent tight coil in it from sitting on the reel that long (a decade?). And, it was noticeably rough. But, like you said, after I got it clean and lube’d, it relaxed nicely. (Insert joke here.) Took it out in the yard and tossed around a little and it laid out easily.

I put some good tension on it a few times to see if it was losing any strength and it held all the tension I’d think a new 8 wgt line should take. Ought to land any red I find in the grass.

So, I think I’ll clean/lube the other few old setups I have hanging on the wall and get them in better shape. Helps to have two or three in the boat so I don’t have to be in such a hurry to swap flies or leaders.

About time to get back on the high tide flats. Waters warming quickly.

--------------------------- 17' Henry O Hornet w/ Yamaha 115 26' Palmer Scott project hull 14' Bentz-Craft w/ Yamaha 25

You have already eaten the bull, don’t choke on the tail.

Translation–You spent all that money on the nice saltwater reel, the fancy 8 weight, the cool vest, and fake bait,not to mention the time and trouble to get out and wade the flat. Be a crying shame to start popping off fish because you didn’t spend the extra few $$'s on some decent line. Happens all the time. The tippet is probably more important though.

Anyway, don’t choke on the tail.

Just some more random thoughts from

Your Pal
EF