Fly Vise

Any recommendations for a tying vise? Just getting into tying and I am sure that people have a lot of personal preferences so I was just hoping to get some input.

I have a Peak and like it a lot. Good vice and wont break the bank.

“Those who have the ability to make a difference have the responsibility to do so.” Thomas Jefferson

Peak rotary vises are great like the fellow above me stated. I tie on a dyna king vise which is also a great vise company but may be more expensive. I like the peak rotary vises more than I like my dyna king, but my dyna king king-fisher isn’t a “true” rotary vise like the peaks I’ve tied on. If I were to purchase another vise, I would look into peak

“Gun control, it’s like trying to prevent drunk driving by making it more difficult for sober people to buy cars” -anonymous

Have a Peak vise and like it. Good price for a great vise.

You’ll find that the majority of the name brands will have fans, and there’s pro’s & con’s to all of them depending on what type of flies you intend to tie most & the sizes.

I’ve been tying on a Regal for about 25 years & it’s my favorite.

My first vise was a Thompson “A” model & it worked fine for the flies I was tying then. However, it didn’t hold larger hooks very securely once I started tying flies for bass & saltwater. That’s important, that the vise holds the range of hooks securely, you may want to tie on.

What type of flies & hook sizes do you intend to tie?

I have an older Regal. It holds all the hooks I use securely, from an 18 on the small end, and about a 2/0 on the large end. Some 2/0 or 3/0 size hooks won’t fit in the jaws depending on the diameter wire used for the hook. That’s my only negative comment about the Regal I have, as I do tie in sizes larger than 2/0, so I’ve had to go to a different vise. Regal makes a “saltwater” vise now, but even it won’t hold everything I tie on.

Be sure before you buy, that the vise will hold the range of hooks securely, that you intend to use.

My Regal does rotate, but not on a “true” center axis, but frankly I’ve never found it to be a problem for me. Other folks do have differing opinions about rotation features.

I now have several old vises I’ve collected, (Thompson, Herter’s, Universal Vise Corp., etc.) all will hold hooks, and all would be fine for tying, but again all have limits & pro’s & con’s.