Flying with rods

Going to be checking some rods on a flight coming up soon. Anyone have any advice, do’s & don’t, favorite product…? Ideally I’d like to find a dense paper tube but not coming up with anything as easily as I thought. Planning on about 4x7 foot medium action trolling rods and maybe a few inshore rods. thanks for any help!

A few years back I bought a hard plastic tube to do this with. Its still in the garage somewhere. If I can find it you can borrow it.

How many rods total are you looking at?

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

would be 4 medium sized trolling rods and a few inshore rods max. should be able to bundle them fairly tight. As I recall you live up the road a little from charleston. I’m leaving out Tuesday night (19th)…

I use a length of PVC pipe. Glue an end cap on one end and a screw off cap on the other. Easy to screw a carrying handle to it.

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

I just put my hands on mine. The one I bought is for fly rods. Unless your rods break down, this one will not work. Works perfectly for my four or the piece fly rods. Sorry.

Crackers methods works great too. And cheap.

Redfish Baron Extraordinaire

www.baturinphotography.com

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker Larry

I use a length of PVC pipe. Glue an end cap on one end and a screw off cap on the other. Easy to screw a carrying handle to it.

Capt. Larry Teuton
912-six55-5674
lteuton at aol dot com

“Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made.” -Robert N. Rose

X2 on this but I add a piece of egg crate foam inside the rod tip end of the tube. It keeps the top eyes from hitting so hard.

-Albemarle 248xf “Chella”
-Dolphin 18BC Pro
-HT Bugbuster

thanks anyway 23. I looked into larry’s method after I searched old forums on the same question and video of the pvc method were posted. I went to lowe’s and looked at lengths of pvc but it just seemed like overkill for using once in a blue moon. So I went to UPS and staples looking for cardboard tubes, nothing over 36 inches. Swung by haddrell’s at about 6:05, they were trying to close up so I swung around the corner to West Marine. They had some 3 inch cardboard tubes they had gotten a shipment of rods in and gave me one for free. Perfect for the guy who will seldom use a rod tube. thanks for all the suggestions.

Mac509, be prepared to pay for oversized baggage. I took a few rods to Costa Rica a few years ago and it was over $100.oo per tube.

Flying with a rod is easy…just don’t wear sweat pants…

Next time you come in, come heavy, or not at all…