Foggy Bottom Boys

Saturday was foggy but managed to wrangle in a few with a slip cork set to 4-6ft working the incoming of crystal clear water in the Cooper and the Wando. Saw 51 to 54 throughout the day.
The bite was light and slow, but steady for the most part.

Did have a bird of prey incident but not and aweosme and well documented as 23’s though, but I’ll share anyway.
So sometimes I’ll leave the bail open and let the cork drift the tide down current a while. Well I let one go a pretty good ways down that morning and went to bring it back in reeling it in kind of quicky… next thing I see is a hawk swoop out of the trees and track my bobber for 30ft or so from right at 5 ft above the water line, like a heat seeking missle. As I realize what’s happened and the bobber gets close to the boat the bird jukes off to the side, perpendicular to the boat and lands in a big oak tree riggt next to us. Me and my bud look at each other in amazment then laughed pretty good about it. Then I was able to snap these pics, and they are terrible haha.

Ill post pics in comments so we can leave the Osprey/Trout pic up for now, I really like it!

2 Likes

Oh yea, the fush…

The trout released himself this time haha

Nothing but dinks, but still loads of fun!

3 Likes

The last 2 birds in the pics looked like seagulls but they were either juvenile or not gulls at all. I wasn’t sure, maybe one of you know.

My guess is those two are terns. The head shape and bill look like a tern to me. They do sometimes rest on the water.

White and gray birds on the water are hard to id. A little like the problem with small non-descript birds that birders call “LBB’S” or little brown birds when they can’t id.

Googled Terns… They seem to have black heads in the pics, so I donno still. Prob just a lame ole seagull.

A buddy of mine thinks they are juvenile trumpeter swans.He said they pass thru here this time of year.My eyes can’t deal with the fog ,you boys are crazy!Haha Caught and released one very near where fatrat posts up for the flattys.

1 Like