Food for thought

“I Am Sorry That It Has Come to This”: A Soldier’s Last Words

06/22/13

“I Am Sorry That It Has Come to This”: A Soldier’s Last Words
Daniel Somers was a veteran of Operation Iraqi Freedom. He was part of Task Force Lightning, an intelligence unit. In 2004-2005, he was mainly assigned to a Tactical Human-Intelligence Team (THT) in Baghdad, Iraq, where he ran more than 400 combat missions as a machine gunner in the turret of a Humvee, interviewed countless Iraqis ranging from concerned citizens to community leaders and and government officials, and interrogated dozens of insurgents and terrorist suspects. In 2006-2007, Daniel worked with Joint Special Operations Command (JSOC) through his former unit in Mosul where he ran the Northern Iraq Intelligence Center. His official role was as a senior analyst for the Levant (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan, Israel, and part of Turkey). Daniel suffered greatly from PTSD and had been diagnosed with traumatic brain injury and several other war-related conditions. On June 10, 2013, Daniel wrote the following letter to his family before taking his life. Daniel was 30 years old. His wife and family have given permission to publish it.

I am sorry that it has come to this.

The fact is, for as long as I can remember my motivation for getting up every day has been so that you would not have to bury me. As things have continued to get worse, it has become clear that this alone is not a sufficient reason to carry on. The fact is, I am not getting better, I am not going to get better, and I will most certainly deteriorate further as time goes on. From a logical standpoint, it is better to simply end things quickly and let any repercussions from that play out in the short term than to drag things out into the long term.

You will perhaps be sad for a time, but over time you will forget and begin to carry on. Far better that than to inflict my growing misery upon you for years and decades to come, dragging you down with me. It is because I love you that I can not do this

Makes me think about my dad who served in Vietnam,came home and raised four children. He didn’t talk much about what he saw,who he killed or how he did it…

All he did was come home provide for his family and do the best he could with what he had…

I doubt I will win any popularity contest with my thoughts after reading this young mans letter but you wanted food for thought and my thoughts reverted back to my father and how proud I am to have had him there for me and my family.

If he were still with us it would be interesting to see his reaction after reading this letter but the more I think about it,I doubt I would put him in that position.

I’m at a loss!

fish today work tomorrow
The Bi Polar Express
Sportsman Masters 227

quote:
Originally posted by capehorn 16

Makes me think about my dad who served in Vietnam,came home and raised four children. He didn’t talk much about what he saw,who he killed or how he did it…

All he did was come home provide for his family and do the best he could with what he had…

I doubt I will win any popularity contest with my thoughts after reading this young mans letter but you wanted food for thought and my thoughts reverted back to my father and how proud I am to have had him there for me and my family.

If he were still with us it would be interesting to see his reaction after reading this letter but the more I think about it,I doubt I would put him in that position.

No need in winning a popularity contest, you spoke what you thought very well, and you have the right to be proud of it and your Dad!

Really Sorry when the ones that have sacrificed the most for this country get the worst care!!!

Hope things CHANGE for the better soon! For the deserving!

NN

07, 23 Key West, Twin 115 Yammys

“Coastal Bound”

www.joinrfa.org/