Fossil Hunting

When I was a kid (20 yrs ago) in the 90s my family would take a trip down to the lowcountry to hunt for fossils. The place we went looked like some sort of construction company that dug large pits for whatever they were mining. It was around the Summerville/Jedburg area right off I-26. Does anyone know if they still allow the public to come in on the weekends to fossil hunt? I heard rumors they closed access to the public, but that’s not from a reliable source. I don’t know of a place to look besides that spot. Any advice?

Probably Giant Cement Company.

http://www.giantcement.com/

John

Pathfinder 23 HPS

I know excactly the spot you are talking about. It is closed to the public. Somehow they know you are there and send a couple guys out who tell you to leave. They say its for safety reasons which makes sense. But I used to find some massive teeth and plenty of bones. Even found a fossil sand dollar once.

You can not go onto a mining site without proper MSHA Mine Safety and Health Administration Training.

Going to Church doesn’t make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

You are the offspring of 5 monkeys having But Secs with a retarded fish squirrel. CONGRADULATION!!!

I’m reviving an old topic from back in May when I posted it, but does anyone know of an area in the lowcountry where the public can go to find fossils? Has anyone been on the Drum Island looking for stuff? I know you can dive the Cooper for all kinds of stuff, but running your hand on the bottom with about a foot or two of visibility doesn’t sound too appealing.

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270

Ask Gotchacovered… he is a fossil guru here.

Grace gives us what we do not deserve… Mercy does not give us what we do deserve. -Charles Stanley

Well, I’m not a guru, but I do know where you can go find some fossils. I’ll PM you something, DK.

Gotcha Covered,
Lee Strickland
Strickland Marine Insurance Agency, Inc.
https://stricklandmarine.net
843-795-1000 / 800-446-1862

Thank you!

Bowtech Allegiance
Ruger M77 .270