fossil shark teeth

Does anyone else do this and if so I need a little guidance on finding them inland. I have researched all the formations and have visited many sites, new land sites, creeks in the usual areas but am interested in where I am going wrong. I have found many teeth inland and whale vertebrae etc…so I am not just starting.Just curious if anyone would be willing to take a newbie on.

I find all of my big ones underwater. Unfortunately, a lot of places you can go on land might put you in a position where you are trespassing. For instance, you can find them all over the dredge spoil places like Drum and Daniel Island, and also in borrow pits where they dig soil for roads or foundations, and also where they are starting a new development and dig a hole in the ground for a drainage basin (neighborhood pond.) I imagine that you can look along the banks of the Edisto and Ashley Rivers - anywhere where the bank is steeply cut.

Narcosis

My oldest son (CofCfishing) loves to look for teeth and other artifacts. I thought he was going to have a heart attack when he saw that one pulled up on an anchor recently. He’s dying to get out to Drum Island and dig around. Not sure if he can legally or not??

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

There are signs on Drum, but I see people out there all the time. You could always plead ignorance…

Ive heard they can be found on Drum but didnt know if anyone ever finds any and just doesnt share. Ive been up and down little creeks of course in the usual Summerville and West Ash…looking to head toward elsewhere…maybe buy a hookah setup and swim on edisto or ashley. Thanks for all replies

quote:
Originally posted by Narcosis

I find all of my big ones underwater. Unfortunately, a lot of places you can go on land might put you in a position where you are trespassing. For instance, you can find them all over the dredge spoil places like Drum and Daniel Island, and also in borrow pits where they dig soil for roads or foundations, and also where they are starting a new development and dig a hole in the ground for a drainage basin (neighborhood pond.) I imagine that you can look along the banks of the Edisto and Ashley Rivers - anywhere where the bank is steeply cut.

Narcosis

^^^^^^^

What he said. I’m trying to think of some local places that you wouldn’t be trespassing on. Pretty much anywhere there is a deep ditch dug in our low country. After a good strong rain storm is a good time to go. If seen teeth brought up as shallow as 5 feet and as deep as 30-40’

Some of my best were found while building some Logging roads in the salkehatchie swamp. Got some nice chunks of Fossilized wood as well. Crazy how much fossilized sea life is under our feet. Used to get tons of smaller teeth on Edisto Beach, but after all the nourishment stuff, you don’t find them very often now.

“Why Bruce?”

1 Like

Fred there are just as many if not more after the dredging you just have to look for them a little differently.

Thanks narcosis…dont have that skill set anymore at your level at least…but thanks for the tip…Thanks everyone

quote:
Originally posted by MyHooker111

Ive heard they can be found on Drum but didnt know if anyone ever finds any and just doesnt share. Ive been up and down little creeks of course in the usual Summerville and West Ash…looking to head toward elsewhere…maybe buy a hookah setup and swim on edisto or ashley. Thanks for all replies

You have to have a Diver Hobby License to hunt Shark teeth if using dive gear. Don’t dive anymore, but we still use a mask & snorkel in places along the Edisto to search for teeth.

You don’t have to get very deep either.

1 Like

Very Cool.

“Apathy is the Glove into Which Evil Slips It’s Hand”, but really, who cares?

Good to know, thanks. Been thinking about doing that just trying the creeks first…

quote:
Originally posted by stlhunr
quote:
Originally posted by MyHooker111

You have to have a Diver Hobby License to hunt Shark teeth if using dive gear. Don’t dive anymore, but we still use a mask & snorkel in places along the Edisto to search for teeth.

You don’t have to get very deep either.

From the pictures you have shared on this site, You are a Good Dad Stlhunr. Life time of memories.

“Why Bruce?”

There is that little red head again, love the way you spend time with her1

quote:
Originally posted by Edisto82

Fred there are just as many if not more after the dredging you just have to look for them a little differently.

Any tips for how I should look differently in the new sand? What have you found that’s different?

Diver Hobby license. .Jesus I have heard it all now. What Agency would even know to enforce this horseschidt…? Lordy how many ways can they bleed us…?

Congratulations to the kid! :+1:

You can find some old things at the Cosgrove bridge on the west Ashley side. Look for a really low tide take a shovel and find a place where the bottom feels crunchy. Then get a bucket full of dirt. Screen it and there are lots of sharks teeth lots of other fossils. My son found a elk antler there

I’ve never heard of an angustiden shark. That is pretty darn cool!!! I’ve seen some local divers in the Asheepoo bringing up some really cool stuff. Location, location, location… Also some pretty good spots in the Broad river.