Foul Weather Gear

About every 4 or 5 years I replace my foul weather gear (coat and bibs). The last couple of rounds, I have purchased the West Marine Brand. I’ve been pretty happy with them but after 4 years or so they lose all waterproofing, and no…the spray does not help at that point. That said, I’ve been looking at Mustang, Gill, and HH and just wondering opinions. Considering a float coat but have never had one. I am looking for something that can be used around here in the winters and also other parts of the country. As a commercial diver I tend to travel to the north when it gets cold…I need waterproof, windbreak, and warmth. What are your thoughts and opinions? I need a rugged set. My “yellow” west marine Explorer is more brownish now if that gives an indication…

Narcosis

I’ve had several different suits over the years that did what they were supposed to do. But like you said, eventually they wear themselves out. My most recent purchase was the HUK Next Level Jacket and Bibs. I have zero complaints with my suit. I always prefer something that is on the lighter side that I can layer underneath when it gets cold. I’ve only had it for about a year, so I can’t speak on the life of it yet, but its been great so far. The other company I would recommend is Grundens. These guys make some serious gear. I’ll probably be getting a few things from them before the end of the year.

My last set came from BPS, the 100 mph suit, it has served me well! and so far I have use it 7 years with no leaking. I only use it in the winter due to the weight of the fabric and use a cheaper nylon suit in the warmer weather. I spray the nylon with a waterprofing spray I get from Wallyworld and it does well. I don’t mind a little wet in the summer. I have learned to ware a wool scarf in the winter to catch the water that runs down my neck as I don’t like the hood up

How about a Mustang suit? I still have mine from USCG days. Very warm, waterproof(mostly).

Cabelas Gortex stuff when it’s on sale for recreational use.
Grundens for on the ship.
Float coat worn out on deck in Wx and @ night.
Better to have it than to wish ya did.

I have the West Marine bibs and it holds up pretty good for me. I think I’m going on five years for this pair. I also have two pairs of Simms Waders that I love. They make excellent products it seems. My next set for foul weather, I’ll look at Simms brand first.

“Another poon dream splintered on the rocks of reality.” --Peepod 07-25-2017

I have a set of the Huk Next Level (jacket and bibs) and I’ve had ZERO issues or complaints for the just over two years that I’ve had them.

God bless the “ignore” function.