French drain

Have to do something about my back yard.Standing water is bad.Anyone ever put in a french drain? It will have to be about 200 feet long.Who rents trenchers also.???

Do french drains even work down here in the LC?

Sure they do! Dig a trench fill it with stone and cover it with a little dirt and grass seed. Joe lives on a creek, so all you have to do it make the trench drain that way.

Looking at the black pipe and a drain some place in line.This way i can clean out the drain if needed.Saw how to do it on line.

Stonoman

Stono use black corrugated pipe that has a silt sleeve on it, it has pre-drilled holes that allows the water to get into the pipe. Put gravel below and above the pipe and then cover it with a landscape fabric then soil and seed. This will last for years as long as you have the right slope for proper drainage. Water goes to the least resistance. Hope this helps

That is a hard work job. Good luck with that. 3 dollars a foot would be about as cheap a price as you could get if you hired someone. And that is cheap.

Cross County Rental or Hughes Downtown probably have trenchers. I wouldn’t want to do 200 ft with a shovel, that’s for sure.

Narcosis

The use of a water level or optic level is very important. Slope of about 1/4" in 10 ft is a good target. Biggest thing about a french drain is to make sure you have somewhere for the water to go. Good many places around Charleston just simply back up due to tide and ground water, you can cut in all the french drain you want, and it is not going to do anything.

If you are renting, call Tim Pickett with Sunbelt. tim.pickett@sunbeltrentals.com He knows a little about this web site…

Also, please call before you dig. Make sure you don’t have any underground utilities where you plan to trench or dig. Getting utilities marked is normally a free service. If you don’t call and hit something, “best case” is you will pay for the repairs. You don’t want to see “worst case”.

quote:
Originally posted by jstrange

That is a hard work job. Good luck with that. 3 dollars a foot would be about as cheap a price as you could get if you hired someone. And that is cheap.

3 dollars a foot? Shhhhhooot,you want me to do Whut?

Mr. Joe, Call Andy Pickett, he can help with the trencher. Fishskinner has the design pretty well, but we use the wide fabric and line thrench and then leave the excess laying on the ground and wrap over the stone, so that the entire system is protected from dirt infiltration. The guys at John Deere landscaping supply can help with the materials, or you can get it at Lowes.

This is a good representation, and we usually go wider, so a trencher will work. If done a shown here, you would need les stone, but it would carry less water.

http://www.wikihow.com/Build-a-French-Drain