Fresh mullet?

Heading to the Outer Banks next month and just found out that starting November 1, it will be illegal to buy, sell, catch or possess Mullet in NC. You can bring it in from SC as long as you show proof of purchase upon being checked by wildlife officers, and according to all the bait shops up there, they will be out and checking for illegal bait. Looking to see if anyone down Charleston area can supply me with some fresh mullet that I can salt before I go. Already checked with Haddrell’s. Mt. Pleasant Seafood may be able to help. Just looking to see if there are any more options. Thanks for any help.

Call the seafood markets in Chs. for availability, and you can have them shipped or pick them up.

Marvin’s on Dorchester Rd. N. Charleston, should have plenty.

Welcome back to the site, and keep us posted on your trip to the OBX!

1 Like

You might also check Henry’s in Mt. P.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Looks like, so far Mt. P seafood is going to be the best option, but still checking further. And thanks for the welcome back, Mixed_Nutz. Will let y’all know how it went at the Cape. Good fishing to all!!

What’s the thinking behind this? Are they in decline?

According to NC Marine Fisheries, the most recent study “indicated the stock was overfished and overfishing was occurring”, so they’re shutting it down for Nov. and Dec.

Somebody better tell this guy. He does this everyday at my place.

1 Like

Maybe I can borrow him for a week? They didn’t say anything about having them airmailed! Nice pic, btw.

Those vicious birds.

Have seen them assaulted and robbed by bald eagles roosting nearby.

I saw mullet being harvested with big vintage farmall tractors on the beach pulling seine nets behind a dory

They nets were loaded down with horse mullet, the men would then drag the nets up on the beach and gather the mullet in baskets and load them in the back of pickup trucks and trailers to take to beaufort for sale.

Its going on now around bogue sound.

The roe when smoked is a sought-after delicacie evidently

Thats all I got

Mullet -loading-350

Danmit!

All I can say…