Freshwater technique for redfish???

Has anybody ever tried a freshwater bass fishing technique called “drop shotting” ??? I believe it would be deadly for cold water redfish and possibly trout where you need to have a really slow moving technique.

Perception Sport Pescador 12

shhhhhh

Who’s Ready for a Sleigh Ride? www.KayakFishSC.com

lol sorry tommy :wink:

Perception Sport Pescador 12

You’d be surprised on what bass techniques work on redfish :wink:

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
http://www.HeroesOnTheWater.org
Charleston Director- SCKayakfishing.com
Tarpon 160os

I really need to see these school redfish I hear of haha, I have yet to enjoy this lowcounty luxury

Although I didn’t know it had a formal name, that is a deadly way to troll for fish with a yak. I use a 1oz trolling weight and put a Zman of your choice about 12" below it on an unweighted circle hook. The Zman with no weight is buoyant and will float a little above the bottom with lots of action :slight_smile:

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.sswaonline.com

I get the drop rig. For the uninitiated, what is a trolling weight? Is that the oblong one with loops at each end?

Actually as a variation of the drop shot try using a 3/8 jig.head with a your favorite soft plastic as your weight with a dropper loop tied about 12-18 in up from that which you attach a different soft plastic. Allows you to fish two baits in two parts of the water column.

Dfreedom. Yes. You can buy them at Haddrells

2000 SeaPro 180CC w/ Yammy 115 2 stroke
1966 13’ Boston Whaler w/ Merc 25 4 stroke “Flatty”
www.sswaonline.com

Have done it and it works well. All bass fishing techniques and lures work for reds. Some of the best redfish guys I know are ex-tournament bass fishermen. We experimented one year and caught reds on plastic worms, lizards, craws and anything else we could find in the box. They are opportunistic feeders and will eat just about anything.

The Z-Man Rain Minnowz work really well as a drop shot lure. DEADLY on trout in deep holes.

“Paddle faster boys… I hear banjo music!”
SC Chapter Coordinator- Heroes on the Water
http://www.HeroesOnTheWater.org
Charleston Director- SCKayakfishing.com
Tarpon 160os

Nikonjedi is right on with the Zman minnow. I’m sure I’m by far not the first one to try this but it works. Early last summer I was in the Summerville Chas Angler store buying drop shot rigs for spring largemouth bass and thought this would be great for reds. My son and I went fishing for reds and trout at a creekmouth near Dewees on the outgoing tide and tried one with the Zman minnow and caught several reds and trout. Then I took off the plastic minnow and put on a live shrimp and MMs and was really deadly. I really like CHSbound idea with using the jig head with the plactic on the bottom to fish both columns of water. Will definately have to try that. I bet the gulp shrimp sinking worm on a whacky worm set up thrown under docks would work also.

19’ Seapro 150 Yamaha
12’ Hydrocraft 25 Evinrude

try a finnese bass jig with a tiny paca craw on the outside of the school when they are on the mud flats. Just let it sit and twitch slightly every 5 minutes.